New iphone auto connected to wifi?

Hello, i got a new iphone 6 months ago, and 2 days ago i went to a hotel that i havn't stayed in since i had my old iphone 7 months ago. But my new iphone auto connected to the wifi? How did my new iphone have the wifi password already saved and connected?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Hi Mathew,

When transferring data from old to new iPhones, it transfers everything safely and securely, including login data for Wi-Fi. 

• 1 month ago

If you used the new iPhone on the same Apple account as the old one, then when you restored the backup data from your old iPhone to your new one, stored passwords and wifi logons also got transferred.

That’s one definite possibility. 

The other is that if your iPhone was close to any other Apple device you own which had the logon details then they will automatically have been shared. The same will occur if your iPhone is near anybody else’s Apple device where you’re both listed as contacts on each other’s devices: when that happens the connection is only shared as long as your iPhone remains close to the other person’s Apple device. 

• 1 month ago

If the wifi was open without a password, that nay be why it connected. Not a good idea to allow your devices to auto connect to any unknown, open wifi source, because you never know if it is legit or even the business you happen to be in at the moment or a laptop  collecting banking and personal information. 

But as Rob stated, if you restored from the older phones backups, bookmarks, and other settings and passwords, that may be where the Wi-Fi password info came from. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.