Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 month ago

Debt collectors ?

I've noticed debt letters for my younger brother and I've noticed many of them over the past year, is it possible if it gets to a high amount debt collectors could come to our property of our family home and possibly have/gain access and take what they need. 

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

IF they get a CCJ against him, and if the CCJ is then enforced, they may enter the home and take anything that you cannot prove belongs to another family member. 

So cars on the property will be fair game, as would TVs, game consoles, jewellery, designer clothing. If you want to prove that something is yours rather than his, keep the receipts. 

• 1 month ago

Not how it works, no.

• Kim R
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

They can come and take assets, such as a car (titled in his name), or even an expensive wristwatch or whatever's in his wallet if they get a judgment from the court. Why doesn't he just do the right thing and pay up so he can get on with life and not have to worry about being dogged by debt collectors? 

• 1 month ago

Debt collectors can sue your brother, but they are not allowed to come to your family home and take assets that do not belong to your brother.  They can't seize ANY assets, in fact. They have to go through the court system to get any money owed them.

All they can really do is garnish his wages or demand payment from him. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

NO, that is not at all how it works.

• 1 month ago

They can only do this after a court order has been issued.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

STOP ASKING DAMN IT.

• Scott
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No, that's not how it works. They can't just come to your house and take your stuff.

• 1 month ago

They could easily show up at the door with a subpoena for court, but they can't just break in and take ****.

• 1 month ago

Ignoring them is never a good idea,  it just keeps getting worse. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.