Ahai
Lv 5
Ahai asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 month ago

When is it safe for a baby to leave the womb? ?

Humans are pregnant for 9 months but some babies arrive before their due date.

I came out 10 days too early and I have heard about babies coming out 2 or 3 months too early. 

When is it safe for a fetus to get out? When has it grown well enough? 

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Survival rates are improving even for very premature babies. At about 24 weeks gestation, the survival rate is as much as 70%, but of course that is nothing anyone would recommend.

The best chances of survival without any intervention are after 37 weeks gestation.

• LizB
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Current medical best practice is to keep baby in the womb for 37 weeks minimum as long as it's safe for mom and baby, and ideally past 39 weeks as the fetal brain does a lot of growing the last few weeks. Babies *can* and do survive outside the womb earlier than that, but the more premature a baby is the greater the risks to its health and mortality are.

• Etta
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

The placenta starts to die off at around 41 weeks.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Babies that are born too soon need medical assistance to continue to live.  Without special medical care - the baby would die.

The point at which a baby could survive WITHOUT special medical care is the point it would truly be SAFE for the baby to leave the womb.  

That could be slightly different for each baby, but generally, anything after 38 weeks is usually safe and the baby will usually not need special care.  Anything from 36 to 38 weeks MIGHT need special care or might also be alright without it.

Anything before 36 weeks will almost certainly need some extra care in a NICU.  (newborn intensive care unit)  How much care and how long will depend on exactly how early they are born and how well they adapt to breathing on their own and learning to suck and swallow so that they can nurse.   

The earliest term a baby can be born and survive at all is considered to be about 24 to 28 weeks.  A baby born that early WILL spend a long time in the NICU before they would be able to go home with the parents.   

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

now days, its better to stay in there

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

That partly depends on what the medical facilities for premature babies are near you. I might assume that you are in an 'advanced' western country where those facilities are pretty good.  In some parts of the world they are not so good.

Back in the late 1960s I had a friend who was studying to be a doctor. He did a stint in a unit for premature babies. As I recollect, confirmed by occasional news reports in the years since then, he said that babies of 28 weeks might survive with excellent medical care, though probably not all would. Thus close to 3 months premature.  With recent advances in medical science and facilities, that figure of 28 weeks is probably lower now.

10 days early is pretty well within 'normality', since the calculation of 'due date' is never an exact science, and only 50% of babies are born within a week either side of the due date, the rest of them are born outside those limits.

Indeed it is best for the baby to be born around the normal length of gestation, around 39 to 40 weeks.

• edward
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Safe?  40 weeks.  But yeah, babies come out early all the time, it is not unheard of.  I have had babies come out early as 6 months and turn out fine

• God
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It's usually better to keep the baby in its mother until she goes into labor naturally.  For a difficult pregnancy the OB/GYN measures the size of the baby's head from the ultrasound to determine if the baby is developed enough.  If so the baby can be delivered with little adverse effects.

• Jill
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Most babies born before 24 weeks would not survive.  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.