.
. asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 1 month ago

If both my second cousins got married one on the paternal side and one from my maternal side would their children become my 3rd cousin?

Or would their children become my first cousin seeing that both my second cousins on both sides of my family are related to me 

Ah, I have eventually twigged that you mean that the second cousins got married to each other.

Neither.  The child of your second cousin is your "second cousin once removed".

They would be (gasp!) double second cousins once removed.  Double because they are second etc from both father and from mother.  Their parents are your second cousins.  Your kids and their would be double third cousins.

• Maxi

No they would be your 2nd cousins once removed

They will be your second cousin once removed. It is to do with what ancestors you and they have in common, rather than who their parents marry.  You share your great grand parents, only to them, they will be their great-great grandparents. The difference is that they will have lines of descent on both sides of the family and one less set of ancestors.

Queen Elizabeth II is third cousin to her husband Prince Philip as great-great-grandchildren of Queen Victoria, but they are also second cousins once removed by descent from King Christian IX.