Did the invention of word processing software influence the way books are written?

When considering different writing styles it came across my mind that modern word-processing software makes editing your work much easier. Did this have any effect on writing style? I thought that being able to more easily edit you work would help the writers produce a more streamlined product which we seem to be getting.

@Oey Ngo Tek ???

@Andrew 

I would argue that "enhancing one's laziness" is more or less synonymous with "benefiting oneself", since all good inventions are meant to make life easier in some way."If I were to ask you about history, you'd tell me that there's no point studying anything or reading anything because should you ever need to know some small detail..." A straw man attack. I love history and I read a lot of wikipedia articles and plenty of youtube videos about it.

"You have nothing to add to a discussion about the meaning of life or what it means to be human" True. I find it a pretty boring and pointless discussion. Meaning of life? Each person find ones own. As for me, I want a to have a family, a beautiful wife and smart children. To have an comfortable. apartment in the capital of my country and to be able to afford to eat at McDonalds every day. To enjoy life. Pondering about life's meaning is a sure way to wast it.

"What's the hurry?" Life is short. There is no need to waste it on something boring when you could be doing something fun instead.

@Andrew, honestly, just go out and enjoy life. It is great. The food is tasty, sex is pleasureful, people are interesting, entertainment is great. I assume you are from the US or another rich country so you have access to all of it beyond any man's dream.

• Banana

Yes. I hate it. I have to ignore so much of what they recommend because I like to write in a poetic style that Word is always saying is wrong.

• garry

computers gave them easy editing for misspelt words or alternative words , type writers you hand to do the whole page again , and computers made  transporting the script easier than having to carry around a hard copy , especially if you have to go to several publishers to sell your book .

I am going to say no, because keyboard skills are keyboard skills. An IBM Selectric is still the sexiest writing machine ever. Touch typing is the single best thing the education system taught me. I learned on a training manual with blank keys. I sometimes get lag on my computer, no chance of that with the Selectric. 

I still print out my drafts on paper, so I can mark them up between drafts. There are mistakes that are obvious on paper that I miss on a screen. Hunt and peck typists are going to be just as inefficient with a computer as with a typewriter. 

I understand the advantages of the computer. It's just that we are talking about an unfair competition here if we are talking about 50 words a minute typists, versus hacks on a  keyboard. Of course word processors are more forgiving for crap typists. The very best typists, 150 WPM or so-they will will always get lag on a PC and be faster on a Selectric. 

Yes.  We now get books with a bunch of spelling errors and grammatical errors because human editors aren't doing their jobs.  They're just running the doc through a software spellcheck or a grammar check that isn't very intelligent.

It has made rewrite, edit and correction vastly easier, and probably has made my writing somewhat faster as a result.  OTOH I find the limited vocabulary of Spelcheck and similar to be very annoying with all the words it flags.  Much of my writing uses foreign words.  A story set in a revived Holy Roman Empire looked like a Chr|stmas tree, and now I'm doing one set in Tenochtitlan in 1519, even worse.  But even a lot of ordinary English gets flagged.

• L

It appears you have this backwards.  Books have been written eons before word processing software.

I did not complete a book before word processing existed, but MrBittner did, and the editing was arduous. The way he had to write was very different; it was worth the time and effort not to type out the words as they came to him but to craft sentences and paragraphs in his mind before typing them.

Cutting and pasting was literal and a pain in the butt.

He no longer writes books, but I do, and because word processing exists, it's just fine if I sloppy-type the first idea that comes to mind. Changing it, moving it, deleting it, all so fast and easy.

• Marli

Modern word processing software does make editing much easier and faster but it makes no difference to my content and style. I have and always will write as the real person behind "Marli".  They will only improve when my understanding of life and my subject matter, my research skills, my vocabulary and sentence formation, my subject matter and my practice of the craft improves. The improvement comes from using my mind, not from the computer's software and the internet's database.

• Andrew

Your obsession with brevity, succinctness, and saving time prevents you from understanding that there's a difference between writing and typing. Did the invention of paper and ink influence writing? Well, editing was a lot more difficult when people were etching their work onto stone tablets, so I'll say that the emergence of those things completely revolutionised composition. But so what? That's part of the problem with the advancement of technology and the march of progress you keep glorifying. It isn't always a good thing. 

Call me a luddite if you want to, I don't care. I don't use a typewriter or wear vintage clothes or buy old cookbooks because I think it's hip to be different. I think people had better taste in the past. I think they dressed better. I think they exhibited better manners. I think they weren't in such a hurry all the time. People of your generation have had access to the bulk of the information that mankind has accrued over the course of centuries, but you don't use it to benefit yourselves - you use it to enhance your laziness. 

If I were to ask you about literature, you'd whine about how old books are boring and modern books get straight to the point. If I were to ask you about history, you'd tell me that there's no point studying anything or reading anything because should you ever need to know some small detail, you could find it with the tapping of a few keys. So you don't understand who we are. You don't know where we came from. You have nothing to add to a discussion about the meaning of life or what it means to be human. You're incapable of connecting the dots to trace our path from where we began somewhere off the map in an age uncalendared. It's not about things being done right to people like you, it's about them being done quickly. 

This imbecilic obsession young people have with speed is completely mystifying. What's the hurry? So you can read three godawful fantasy novels in the time it takes me to get through a tome that runs to well over a thousand pages. So what? What do you get from that third rate rubbish? Oh, that's right - it keeps you "entertained." Just like the idiotic films you like, the mindless television you watch, the worthless bilge you scroll through on social media and the brain-rotting games you waste your time with. You lot have a greater amount of free time than any group of people have ever had in the history of humankind and you do feck all with it. 

The greatest injustice of all is that I don't have any choice but to turn this world over to you when I go. It makes me so embittered to envision what you're going to do with what I leave to you. Maybe I am a prat, I never said I wasn't. And perhaps many of the other people who frequent this section think so too, but I don't think many of them consider me to be an idiot. And any one of them is worth one hundred of you.