John asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 1 month ago

Is this possible? To have blood relatives and not to talk to them?

• Phil

What do you mean by " blood relatives ?

Ancestry.com says I have over 500 cousins ( 1st to 4th cousins) still alive today.

I can assure you I never knew the names of over 480 of them let alone ever talked to them.

Of course, it's true. Many of us are in this situation as we have cousins and other relatives we no longer see.

. I don’t talk to my sister anymore. Just because you’re born into a family doesn’t mean you’re going to get along with them or vice versa. . In my family nobody particularly had any loyalty to anybody else. Some families are like that.

Everyone seems to agree it's not only possible, it's highly likely. So now I'm intrigued, why do you ask?

• F

Of course. I’ve not seen any of my cousins for years, I think 2005 was the last time., not that I ever saw much of any apart from set.

I live about 500 miles away from where I grew up and most of my family still are, so it tends to be weddings and funerals when we do meet.

• L

Absolutely!  Just look at all of the children in Foster care or are Adopted............they have blood relatives they know nothing about.

Indeed possible, more common in older times when instant verbal and vision communication world-wide was not available.

One example:  People emigrated from Britain to Australia knowing that letters would take months to exchange with relatives back home.  Letters, remember them, written in ink on paper?  Taken by sailing ship in the early days.

Not so long ago (200, 250 years) even within one small country, such as England, you might have gone to work in the north-east from a home location in the south-west. Maybe 300 miles. A letter would take a few days, even weeks, to traverse that distance.

In war, people get separated.  You might not even know that you had certain blood relatives.

From time to time in the TV news, even recently, there are joyous stories of blood relatives united who did not previously know of each other's existence - maybe just by chance somebody had been doing some family research on the internet; that is a recent invention.

And personally, I have a cousin who chose to disappear in her 60s, about 12 years ago, having got divorced.  Just one letter a few months later, then not even a Christmas card.  Surprising in that she was the one who always seemed keen on family history.  I am not in contact with her 2 children, some years younger than I  am.

Yes.  It's not polite, but it is possible.

Sure, it's possible. I have an aunt and cousins I haven't spoken to in more than fifty years. No animosity, just no reason to be in touch with them. They live far away and I was ten when I saw them last.

Clearly I'm not important to their lives, and vice versa. It's fine the way it is.

• Murzy

Invite them to coffee and get started again.