Is pain and suffering paid out to a motorcyclist that is at fault for an accident?

• Bill

Not usually.  He may have medical insurance coverage to pay his bills.

Generally NO.  & no amount of money will make the pain go away.  It ain't worth it.  I am allergic to moving pavement, moving dirt roads, and flying.

If the motorcyclist is found to be 'at fault' (which happens a lot - because cops are sometimes biased against motorcyclists - especially if they deal with a lot of sport-bike hooligans), then they don't get anything 'paid out' from the other person's insurance, and the only thing their insurance (assuming they have coverage for it) will do is fix (or total) the bike.

I had a woman come across the center lane on a curve while on my Suzuki Boulevard - I had just enough time to drop two gears, dump the clutch, and slam on both brakes, dropping the bike (getting my leg out from under it) so the bike went under the truck, and I ricocheted off the hood/windshield - or I would've been a grease spot.  They got the woman out of the truck seconds before the bike's tank exploded, setting off the truck's tank which exploded as well (and I don't mean 'kind of').

Despite the mark from the explosion being clearly in the on-coming lane (still visible weeks, and even months later if you knew where to look), the cop that worked the wreck cited me 'at fault'.  One girl came up and said that she saw the wreck, but he ignored her and took a statement from a guy who I had passed before the wreck (but who did not actually witness it).  Unfortunately, as I was being shuffled off into the ambulance I lost track of the girl, and was unable to get her contact information.

Fortunately I recovered almost 100% (the only major problem I have from it is my left ankle, which was horribly sprained when my motorcycle boot was ripped off my foot.  I had surgery on my left knee and right ankle - but I have little to no problem with those.  My insurance paid my bike off, and after talking to a couple of lawyers who told me that I probably didn't have a case (thanks to the cop) I just chalked it up to a learning experience.

• car253

Pain and suffering are not paid out to the person at fault for the accident. 

But how is the motorcyclist at fault?     That may be difficult to prove.   Please post the details of how the accident happened.

No.  He gets nothing.

• May

No, not pain and suffering.  Your medical expenses may be paid though.

• Erik

No, because they usually don't give that to the person who caused the accident.

Pain and suffering awards are rare (never mind TV and movies) and paid to the victim, not the person at fault.

• Kaz

Pain and suffering is for the victim of an accident, not the person who is found at fault.

not sure why it would be, that's like slamming your face at a wall and then expecting money because you hurt yourself.