Do internet dongles have a stronger connection than using the hotspot on your phone?

I live in a basement flat. Currently my only internet connection is the data on my phone which i use to hotspot to my laptop but it's often touch and go. Are dongles (preferably pay as you go, but not necessarily) any better connection or is the only reliable way to get broadband installed?

Thanks...

• keerok

If there's a router nearby you have access to, a wireless dongle may improve your internet connection. Regular routers use a cable or have an aerial antenna to connect to the ISP providing a better and more stable connection. 

If none, you can use a USB internet stick (portable router). I think this is what you have in mind. It requires its own SIM card (like a phone) and use data load credits to access the internet. Getting a prepaid plan (for the SIM) will allow you to "pay as you go". Your connection however will still depend on the signal strength of your phone's service.

Your main problem is your basement flat.  Being in a hole in the ground, likely surrounded by concrete walls is swallowing your wireless signal.