Why are contractors now saying that I have to supply the materials?

The last two times I had home projects (kitchen floor tiles, toilet), the contractors said that I had to go and buy the materials,then they would install them. I've never had this happen before, but than I haven't had to do anything in about 20 years. Is this a new maintenance contractor procedure?

Mainly because he doesn't want to lay out the money for all the materials and then wait to be paid by you. For small jobs they won't necessarily have accounts with the suppliers they have to go to to get the stuff you want. Of course it means you take the responsibility for ensuring you have enough of everything, but at least you are not paying his mark-up on them.

• L

They just want to make sure you select what you want installed.

• Ann

This seems to be the norm for contractors now.  The contractors will work with people to decide what materials are needed to complete a job, and then the homeowner is responsible for buying the materials to have the contractors install them.  We've have extensive remodeling done twice within the last 20 years, and that's been the way things happened both times.  The last time we had to remodel, it was due to flooding from a broken pipe and there was an insurance claim.  We had to purchase materials upfront for the contractors, and then the insurance company repaid us, based on the receipts we supplied. 

not new.  it prevents you disliking the pattern or style and complaining about their choices ... also, them making more trips to have you choose from samples costs money ... they'd have to add a few hundred to your bill if they have to do that.  -- grampa

• ?

If they have to go buy, or return materials, then this time has to be added on to the bid as there are salaries to pay. If the contractor is not the material supplier as well, this is advantageous to you as you are not paying wages to their employees.

• Edwena

Well, do you know enough to control what you want?  Or are you willing to accept the cheapest thing that the contractor can furnish because you don't care.  And if you don't care, why do  you even go to the trouble of having the work done?

It is more about the individual contractors.

Perhaps the ones you talked to don't want you to claim they overcharged for the materials, or that they got the wrong materials. If you buy them yourself, those are not their problem.

I've seen it both ways.  Some want to do it all themselves and just put an allowance in the total price.  I find them to be, in general, more expensive.  The other ones are basic installers.  I personally always wanted them because I felt I could control costs more (right or wrong.)

• elhigh

That's new to me; then again in the case of such things as tiles they probably want to be absolutely certain YOU are getting the tiles YOU want, because getting it wrong is both expensive and a gigantic pain in the **** to redo.

• y

I have heard that about floor tiles, or at least go along so that you could pick them out. On occasion, I have heard that about toilets. You almost sound like you're dealing with handymen as opposed to contractors.