Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

What is your roofing opinion on staples vs. 1-1/4" nails for holding down shingles? Pros and cons of each?

I'm leaning toward thinking that nails are overkill - more difficult to pull up later during repair or roof replacement, cause they go so deep into the wood. I've seen roofers take off a roof in two hours by prying up shingles using shovels, but I suspect they were staples, not nails. Does a contractor even care what was used previously when giving estimates on replacement or repair? Do nails come up just as easily as staples?  

• 1 week ago

Cleaning and gardener services https://mistrhouse.cz/cz

absolutely NO to staples. You want ring shank roofing nails -- they resist the wind a LOT better and, even if you're in Arizona, there are still occasional gale force [wind] storms. -- grampa

absolutely NO to staples.  You want ring shank roofing nails -- they resist the wind a LOT better and, even if you're in Arizona, there are still occasional gale force [wind] storms.  -- grampa

The nails have big heads, so imo nails would come up much easier when the shovel goes up under the shingles and the nail heads. P S Staples go all of the way through the wood.  Plywood is only 1/2 inch thick. Contractors use staples because the attaching goes much faster (but looks terrible if/when you can see the underside, as in a carport roof). {My roofer said this was a guard against high winds.}  You can use shorter nails if you install your own roof (or your contractor agrees) - and you will not poke holes in your head when crawling around in the attic. 

I want my shingles put on the best way possible.

• y

Do nails come up just as easily as staples?   Yes.