Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

What if two teen girls that are sisters have a baby by the same boy, and they kept it a secret and reveal the secret 10 years later?

What will happen?

• Zirp

Well, hopefully it will prevent the babies from dating eachother. Full first cousins marrying is legal where I live, half-siblings marrying is not, for obvious reasons

We saw this question about 8 months ago.

The answer is the same - nothing much will happen.

They will go on the Maury Povich Show.

It's like ten years later in this pathetically clueless family. The girls who were 18 are now 28. Where in any normally cognizant community even the neighbours would be gossiping and looking at the children's faces and been speculating for 10 years as to who the babies' daddy was, or at the very least the parents would have expressed some curiosity about their 2 daughters each coming home pregnant and like giving birth to a baby in her bedroom, and yet they've never asked, but even the 2 sisters are so utterly clueless that they have like side by side bedrooms in their parents' house and neither even ever noticed that the other was pregnant, let alone figured out it was by the same guy. Neither noticed her sister was going through the same thing that she was going through, namely 9 months of pregnancy followed by giving birth to a baby in her room. Then, in 10 freaking years of 2 children growing up in the same house, sharing the bathroom and both eating in the same kitchen, nobody in this remarkably uncurious house ever noticed or wondered or asked anybody anything. Now we're to believe (or care) that these 2 sisters who must have the IQ approximately of a potato are going to reveal the guy's name. Like who in such a house or community would be smart enough to care at that point, when they hadn't for 10 freaking years.

• Marli

They are pregnant teens, not adults living outside the parental home. Didn't their parents get the name of the boyfriend out of them?  If they did, both sisters know the same guy knocked them up.

If you mean that the family kept the secret from the neighbors for ten years, revealing it might have caused gossip, but both women would be in their late 20s and had  probably moved to other towns. The guy probably left the moment after he heard both his lovers were pregnant. It would be a drain on his bank account to pay child support for one offspring. Two would be too much.

Who knows "what will happen"? If you want to write this story, go ahead and write it. You don't need our permission.

PS I hope you mean they have a baby EACH.

• Zac Z

If they reveal the secret it won't be a secret anymore.

That's about the only sure thing one can say about this hypothetical scenario as it depends on so many variables. 

Different cultures and subcultures can have wildly different reactions to all sorts of things and individual people may react differently also. Many norms, even within the same communities, change over time as well.*

If this question is for a story as the category suggests, you need to come up with your own idea.

That seems to be one of the central themes here (next to "do my homework for me!" and "what the best name for my character?"), wannabe writers asking for us to provide them with ideas and concepts covering pretty much all aspects of their writing.

Question: how many professional writers do you know that crowdsource their ideas for their books?I don't know any because they come up with their own ideas. That's part of the profession.

If you aren't good coming up with ideas for you own book, maybe writing isn't for you.

* Take cohabitation of unmarried couples as an example. I'm from Germany and there's a song from the mid 70s about an unmarried couple that receives a letter signed by all the other tenants of their apartment building asked them to move out because this is "An Honorable House" (which is also the title of the song). The song is about societal hypocrisy as it turns out that many of those tenants are doing things that are far from honorable; reflecting upon the things their neighbors are doing the couple finally decides to leave because THEY don't want to live with folks like that.

Now, at the time this song was written it was illegal in Germany to rent an apartment to unmarried couples. At least that's what Wikipedia says, I was born after that song came out. Not only has the legal situation changed; norms have als changed and this song wouldn't work anymore these days because couples living together without being married isn't considered scandalous anymore - in fact, it's pretty normal.

There was a term, "wilde Ehe" (wild marriage), referring to unmarried couples living together. In English, that was called "living in sin" which makes it very clear how society assessed this!

As I've said, in Germany, this isn't an issue anymore. There are couples living just as married couples for years, some with common children and they aren't shunned by society. A few decades ago, this would have been a scandal.

In some parts of the world, you still can't book a hotel room unless you are married, I think.

When I read your question, my immediate thought was that this situation would be somewhat problematic as it implies that the father had a relationship with two sisters at the same time (probably without them knowing about it). There's also the element that both are getting pregnant, implying that they are from a segment of society where sex ed is not a focus (to put it nicely).

What I didn't think of as scandalous was the fact that unmarried people have sex. Yet, for some, this alone would be objectionable.

For me, the father abandoning the two mothers is more problematic than the fact that they had sex.

For me, the fact that the two girls are sisters isn't more scandalous than if the guy had fuсked two unrelated girls. It's just more stupid from the guy's perspective as it is bound to come out at some point.

But these considerations reveal my moral standpoint which is the aforementioned mix of my cultural and subcultural background and my personal ideas, which doubtless are influenced by the era I'm living in.

Why do I write all of this? It's to illustrate how very different one can see these things depending on the circumstances. There is no one-fits-all answer to your question.

• j153e

Birthday parties?  Each has one apiece?  Or is Sister A impregnated, and the baby implanted in Sister B?  One birthday party for two mommy-sisters?

If two babies are born, they could be a boy and a girl, and the story line could develop their increasing ability to make a good peace for themselves and their mothers.  Their father could be a good influence/champion, or something else.

If there is a "transplant" baby, he or she could have a superability to read minds or feelings, be a great artist, etc.

Define your characters, and develop your interesting plot as you like it.

That's what the author has to figure out.

Take an hour and write ten or twenty different ways it could play out. Usually one or two will clearly be better ideas than the others.