Why do all my home repairs snowball?

For instance, I want to get the porch roof re-shingled. The roofer says I have to get the power line raised because it's too low to the roof. The power company comes and says I have to have the bushes near the line cut. Now there's three jobs out of one. The there's the toilet. Can just have it replaced - plumber says flooring under it is unstable. Now I need a carpenter to repair the flooring BEFORE the plumber can replace the toilet.

This is a constant complaint of mine.  In order to do a repair, and DO IT RIGHT, there are a few other things I have to do first.   Home repair is not like changing a lightbulb, you can't just take one down and put the other up.  Many times you discover things that need to be fixed/reinforced/upgraded before your original repair can be completed.  Example. We had a moldy carpet and finally took it out to put in laminate.  Once I got the carpet out, I found three spots on the floor that the mold had gotten to the wood.  So, now I have to cut out the top part of the subfloor and replace them - three times over.  (I also discover that the previous owner had put in this floor without a vapor barrier between layers of the subfloor!) This is all before I can begin my work on the laminate!  But the thing to remember here is that when you're done, you've got a much better repair than just slapping a coat of paint on something. It's much more worth it.   

this is common with older homes.  safety standards changed for the better; shrubbery grew.  -- grampa

Drat, someone's already beaten me to it with "the gasman cometh" song!  A lot of small jobs get put off until a bigger problem arises and then you have to deal with all the issues that interconnect.

• Snezzy

This answer will be useless from a practical point of view, but the spirit of it will be exactly what you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1dvAxA9ib0

Youtube thumbnail

These things do happen, there is no getting away from them.  

But at least you will  be able to cut the bushes near the electricity line yourself.  Don't electrocute yourself when you do that clearance.

That's just the way it goes, especially if the house is old and/or hasn't been maintained well.

• y

The toilet thing, you allowed it to go too long so that it created more damage. If you had done something about it at the first hint of a leak, the damage may not have been so great.  That is the way things work. The roofer is going the safety root first, can't blame him for wanting nothing to do with those lines. Another, may have ignored them and taken their chance. I would have had them raised, like your guy wants.  Yearly inspections inside and out, to catch issues before thy get out of hand is key in owning a home, they all need maintenance and up keep.

Because that's home repair. You want to do something, they will find 4 more things that you NEED to do in order to get the first thing done. The same thing happens to a lot of people.