Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 month ago

10 year off and on relationship . 2 kids and km not his wife yet?

My boyfriend and i have a daughter who is 3 and I’m pregnant now with our son. We have been together since we were 15-16. We are in and off a lot sometimes but we have had stage where we were living together. But I’m 25 now and he’s 26 and he hasn’t proposed yet

Do grand parents know about this nonsense? 

• why are you so obsessed with getting a license with the state? it's completely unnecessary. 

A lot of guy's are like this as they're more than pleased with things as they are. Their attitude is, quite simply, Why Change? My advice is, he's not and probably will never be interested in marriage. If you're not willing to live like this then explain it to him and tell him if he's not going to marry you that it's over.

You chose to reproduce with a bf who doesn't appear interested in marriage and with whom you have a rocky relationship. He's not ever proposed to you. And you two are both still years younger than the average bride and groom in the USA. I can't find fault on him when YOU got pregnant twice with a fellow you have not had a steady relationship with. Knowing each other for a decade isn't the same thing as building a steady relationship that means you'd be great life partners. Good luck to you. 

• MissA

Well, you are allowed to ask him to marry you, you know.  It's not like it's begging.

But seriously if the idea hasn't occurred to him on his own then it's probably not going to.  So bring it up if it's something you want.

Have you actually had a conversation with him about what you want from your relationship?

Given that you've got this far, he might not realise it's something you'd like. 

• n2mama

If he wanted to marry you, he already would have. If you want to be married you should have made that clear before you started having kids. If you want to get married now, you can propose to him and then you’ll know if he’s actually interested in being married to you or not.

• David

The best years of your relationship will always be the last one or two right BEFORE you get married.  For that reason, if there is any doubt about the relationship in the dating or "engaged" phase, then you can be 1000% certain that getting married is a terrible idea.  

You say:

"My boyfriend and i have a daughter who is 3 and I’m pregnant now with our son. "

-  OK, but that has nothing to do with marriage.  The worst reason to do anything is "for the kids".  So your statement about having 1 and a half children together is a moot point.

"We are in and off a lot sometimes "

-  If that is the best you can do, then you two do not belong together...not even dating.  Marriage doesn't make a relationship stronger.  Marriage adds tons of bad stress to a relationship.

"but we have had stage where we were living together. "

-  More evidence that getting married would be a terrible idea.  If living together didn't work out, then living together MARRIED would not work out, either.

"But I’m 25 now and he’s 26 and he hasn’t proposed yet"

-  I should hope not.  With your history, it is clear that neither one of you is nearly mature enough to handle a marriage, yet.  It's unfortunate that you two managed to bring two kids into the world.  Don't compound those mistakes by making another mistake.  

• T J

He will never marry you.

Some people are scared of commitment of marriage like that