Jamie asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 1 month ago

Lomo'instant not working properly ?

So, I wanted to try my hand at instant photography as I love film, but it's difficult to get developed. I bought a used Lomo'instant on Ebay and it worked like new for the first month or so, but the other day it stopped counting my film. It reads 0 even though I just put in a fresh pack. I decided to change batteries, even switched them around to be sure, and still nothing. It come on, the light turns red for a second and then green, the flash works, but it still reads 0 and won't take the picture. 

I know this isn't exactly a popular brand, but I was hoping someone that's more experienced with instant cameras might have a suggestion. It would be much appreciated. 

Just in case:

Make sure you have loaded the pack the right way. Yollow line on the pack must align with yellow line on the camera.But some of the inner workings might have broken. A new one will give you warrenty at least. Or buy a Fuji Instax so you can re-use the filmpack that's in the Lomo.

Have fun shooting Instant!

• keerok

Lomo cameras are toys. So it worked and it still works. It's not related to the battery. It's a mechanical thing. No sense having it fixed. It's cheaper to buy a new one.

Even film SLRs can develop bad counters (after a very very long time). Always take note of the number of shots you bought and keep the tally in your head. 

• Sumi

Sounds like the camera has a broken frame counter.  At just about $79 new, it's not worth getting repaired.  If the camera still makes photos even though the counter is not working, then use it as is.  Otherwise, send it to an e-waste recycling center and buy another one, preferably a new one with a warranty.

Using a Lomo instant camera, or any instant camera, is not using 'film'.  I am sure that there are labs still in operation to process and print film, though you might have to use mail order.