Would it be worth cutting down the knobs to a smaller size on my dirt bike tyres to get a faster speed on the roads or would that ?

Just fit dual purpose tyres – the least worst of both worlds

That would be a blindingly stupid thing to do.

Buy some trials-tread tires that have a road-rib up the middle and knobbies on the side.  This will allow you to travel faster/smoother on road, while still retaining the ability to do some off-road riding (they will be loud on corners, but not as bad as full-knobbies).

If you are just going to ride it on-road, then buy road tires.

• fuzzy

If you want to ride fast on the road, buy a road bike. Steering geometry, suspension & brakes, as well as the tyres are very different for on road compared to off road.

I would say "Yeah" just to watch you do it.-while I have a beer. Got to thin out the herd. I myself would by road tires. and maybe change sprockets

• @ All, Ok thanks all.. better safe than sorry.

I got a better idea... put the bike on a stand, run the motor and apply sandpaper to the turning wheel. But I decided I'm not going to do it.

If you wanna change something, change your front and / or real sprockets. Ever ride a 10-speed? Same principles, dude. Think about it.

• Scott

No, it would be stupid and dangerous to alter your tires. Buy street tires if you want to go fast.

Likely not.

The science of tyres is in the design of them at the manufacturers laboratory.

The Engineers worked on various shapes, sizes, and pressures, to get maximum effect from their specific use.

But, You are free to design your own modifications for your own specific use.