m asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 1 month ago

What organic material increases the PH of the soil?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 week ago

It's funny I come across this question now, but I was reading about this earlier today. The recommendation that was given to me was to use Lime, something you can add to your soil made from ground limestone rock. It has calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate which naturally increase the "sweetness" or the PH level of the soil. I was also told that the best time to lime your soil is in Autumn or Spring because of the rain that helps break down the lime in the soil.

Hopefully, that helps you out, let me know if anything comes up!

• 1 month ago

I think peat moss helps.

• 1 month ago

Horse muck !! no ribbons no bows get some !!! 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Bonemeal, not pleasant to handle, works a treat.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Commercially available LIME-sold in Home Depot. 

• 1 month ago

To increase the pH level of your soil, you should introduce alkaline material, know as a base.

- 2-4 tablespoons of OYSTER SHELL LIME per plant or 50 lbs per 1,000 square feet,

- BAKING SODA – It also produces almost immediate results; in fact, there can be noticeable changes in the soil pH in less than 24 hours provided you use the baking soda properly.

- You can sprinkle about 1/2″ of WOOD ASH over the soil and mix it into the top 6 to 8 inches of the soil

- Dried and pulverized EGGSHELLS can be an excellent soil additive

• gerald
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Horse muck !!  no ribbons no bows get some !!! 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

What do you mean by "organic" in this context?

Ground limestone   (takes longer but lasts longer)

Baking soda   (works quickly but for shorter period of time)

Wood ashes  (works quickly but for shorter period of time)

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.