when did yamaha go from 9 to 17 digit vin numbers?

• David

Xiaomi Scooter M365 Pro https://bitly.com/3pOuG8A

VIN means vehicle identification number, so adding the "numbers" is redundant. Kind of like saying "ATM machine"

• adam

early 1980s all makes did I believe

Same reason everyone else did,   the government standardized the VIN to 17 digits so more information could be included on it without having to run the entire number.  Only the last six numbers are the serial number of the vehicle,  all the rest tells you where it was made,  who made it,  engine size,  model year,  etc.  

17 digits became mandatory around 1980 or 1981

It is because of Vin Diesel's 9-digit social security number. He sued Yamaha for identity theft and forced them to change. Yamaha's counter-arguments were that none of their motorcycles were Diesel's, and Diesel bore no resemblance to any of their motorcycles. The judge disagreed, stating that the numbers were clearly identified as VIN's. (Too funny--I KILL me.)