Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Is there a difference between auto and manual engines?

Like let's say I have a 2018 Versa, and I want to purchase a spare engine. The car I have has a manual transmission. Can I purchase an engine from a car that has an automatic transmission in it? Or would it be easier to purchase an engine from a car that had a manual transmission in it?

Update:

I realize that there's no such thing as a "manual engine" and "auto engine", I just didn't feel like using excess words. Thanks everyone for pointing out the obvious, you're so clever.

24 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

A transmission is separate from the engine. The engine isn't different. 

• 1 month ago

They should be identical, but to save yourself headaches, you might want to find one that came out of a manual, just in case.

• 1 month ago

To eliminate the possibility of any headaches, purchase one with the same transmission. I can't speak for your Versa, but some cars use a different crankshafts for auto vs. standard.

• 1 month ago

Apart from the obvious differences, flywheel, clutch, bell-housing, gearbox and possibly drive shaft(s), the manufacturers may have tuned the engines differently. Or may not, as the case may be.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • F
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Not normally, though occasionally a manufacturer will put a slightly different engine in the auto model than the equivalent manual.

For example, I have a diesel Mini Cooper Countryman, it has a 1.6 l engine. The auto has a 2 litre.

• garry
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

engines , nothing , your talking about the transmission that bolts onto the engine ..Automatics are so reliable , they last as long as a manual transmission .

• Phil M
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Why would any one want to buy a spare engine? Nobody does that.

• CB
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The flywheel would need to be swapped to the new engine, otherwise it should work.

• 1 month ago

The TRANSMISSION is automatic of manual. The ENGINE is not. The engine you purchased may or may not be compatible with the transmission you have, but that isn't because one is an automatic an the other is a manual.

That said, it is easier to verify the engine will mate with your transmission if it was previously mated with the same type of transmission.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

A transmission is auto or manual. There is no such thing as a auto or manual engine. If you are trying to ask about the transmission, your choice if you want to shift or not but in cars made today, the auto is faster and get better gas mileage then the manual. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.