Anonymous

How do I handle my daughter running a BUISNESS out of my home ?

My daughter does not have her own place as she recently moved out because she is divorcing her husband. She’s 30 and is living here until she gets back on her feet. We have a very luxurious kitchen and it’s been remodeled and she said it would perfect for her cooking segments. Recently she’s been trying to start a cooking BUISNESS on YouTube and a cooking blog to generate income. She’s been using my kitchen everyday for multiple hours. I miss having my kitchen to my self. Any advice 

Tell her she can't do that and it will have to wait until she has her own kitchen. Or give her one day a week to use your kitchen for her so-called business.

Sounds like your daughter is an idiot really.

• Ocimom

Its your house.  Set an agreeable time for her to do her YouTube cooking.  Compromise on how long she may have for her videos.

• drip

Talk to her. Give her a certain amount of time during the week when she can use the kitchen. A set schedule. Set times and days the kitchen is hers to use.

Encourage her to get a job until (or if) she start making money.  She can be working and doing YouTubes.  This is one of those Don’t give you your day job, until you are making enough money to cover your cost of living in your own

You need to set a schedule for her to be making money and for her to move out. 

She is never going to have health insurance or benefits from You Tube.  

She needs to find her own place. She’s being very disrespectful 

Explain to her that as she would like to  have her own kitchen exclusively for herself, you would also  like to have the kitchen for  yourself.In view of her present condition you  should adjust with the arrangement  for the time being but  let her have her own.for her business purpose  elsewhere.The other way is to ask her to provide facilities for you to cook whenever you want.and allow her to continue as long as she is  alone.

You need to actually tell her that it's your house and kitchen and that you mak the rules, one of which is the kitchen must be available to you whenever you want it.

Given the long shot that earning a living from a YouTube channel is I'd suggest you speak to her about getting a real job while she does this as a side hustle. This way she can move out, get her own kitchen and pursue her "business" there. 

• Alan H

If it is for business, she should pay for the use

• Sky

Assuming your anonymously posted story is true (seriously, why go anonymous for something like this?), you should support and encourage her.  She's going through a difficult time in her life and apparently is working hard to try to build her success and make something of herself.  Youtube channels always start out slowly, but in time as they grow they start to grow exponentially.  On one very successfull channel I follow, the owner of the channel quit a good paying job and started doing youtube full time when he had only 100,000 subscribers and had a wife and kid to support, and that was before Patreon was really a thing. You may feel inconvenienced now, but if she keeps putting a serious effort into it and not just half-assedly chasing a pipe dream, you will be very proud of her for her success and she will be very grateful to you that you helped her get started.  But you can also work out a deal with her:  since she is commandeering the kitchen every day, maybe she'll agree that in the pursuit of making her videos, the results go on the dinner table so you don't have to do the cooking.  It's win-win!

However, if it's clear she is giving up, or is not putting in enough effort to make it a success and all she's doing is taking over the kitchen, have a talk with her about it.  But until then, give her a chance.