D50
Lv 6
D50 asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 1 month ago

Why do people take selfies in a mirror?

All of these "do you think I look good" questions have a photo taken looking at a mirror. All cellphones have a camera on the back so you can see yourself on the screen while you take the shot. Why don't people use it? Is it for the flash?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • D1218
    Lv 6
    2 weeks ago

To make themselves up in the mirror and see how they look first so they can get a great shot.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Understanding mirrors like I do. Could it be that using such will highlight one's image by such distortion the mirror creates? "It's a kind of magic" -Queen-

• 1 month ago

To correct the position and look

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

That was the old fashioned way to take a self portrait before such things as electronic viewfinders. I took one when I got my first 35mm SLR film camera in 1979, just for fun. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

A person's arm is just long enough for a head shot, not a full body shot. People want to show the complete appearance.

• JOHN B
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Full body perspective.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

The good thing about a selfie taken in a mirror is that it places the camera or phone 'virtually' at a reasonable distance from the face, thus gets rid of the typical 'selfie distortion with holding the camera/phone just a typical 2 feet from the face. You know, nose too big and face too round.

The bad thing is that it does not show you accurately, but reversed left-to-right.  Hold up a newspaper etc in front of a mirror and see.

However, you can always 'flop' the file left-to-right in your imaging software and thus get the picture true.

• Sumi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

With a few exceptions, the cameras in smartphones all have a single wide-angle lens.  Wide-angle lenses produce a certain type of distortion to the perspective which makes people look ugly.  You can see the distortion in this link (for reference, smartphones use 24mm or 28mm lenses equivalent to the images in the link):  http://www.stepheneastwood.com/tutorials/lensdisto...

Shooting in the mirror reduces the distortion of the perspective which is why people take photos of their reflection.

• 1 month ago

Holding the phone at arms length does not put it far enough away to get a proper perspective view of yourself.

Too close and your features appear significantly distorted.

Ideally, a "portrait" photo is taken from 6 to 9 ft away (2 to 3 metres).

Using a mirror makes it easy to get a reasonable (optical) distance between the camera and your face.

More info - this article details the "too close" photo distortion:

https://bakerdh.wordpress.com/2012/05/05/face-dist...

• Andrew
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Selfies are a curse.

The self portrait is an art form far older than photography.  Like any portrait, it relies on lighting, skill, and technique - but is compounded with the difficulty of both operating the camera, and being in front of it.

A mirror is the easiest way to keep far enough back to ensure a flattering distance, but the camera's in the frame.

The arm's length selfie  puts the subject too close to the camera, making an unflattering image.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.