Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 2 months ago

How much more can I go over my credit card limit?

So I have a capital one platinum Mastercard, and it says that there isn't a over-limit fee. My question is. If I accidentally went over the credit limit, how much over can I go? I'm including a photo of the part that states there's no over-limit fee.

• Aaron

at this time ,lender should reduce its credit limit on personal credit card ,and there should be over-limit fee ,at this moment t,the fact that bank don't increase various fee for some of cardholder is human practice ,you should THANK bank for not having a over-limit fee ,

• Erik

There's no way of knowing.  If you really want an answer, you need to call the number on the back of the card.

If you want a guess, I would say that if your card is near the limit, and you buy something that would put it a small amount over, they would let it go through.  If you're already over the limit, it would probably be declined.

It's up to them, and it might be nothing.  They CAN decline anything over, even one penny over, if they want.  They might not let you go over at all.  The limit is how far you can go before they may stop you, if they wish.  The limit is the most that they are saying that you can use.  Beyond that, they might let you, but they won't tell you in advance.

If they don't set an amount - then the amount allowed would be based on a case by case situation.  If the amount you are going to go over is minimal (less than $20), then it will likely be approved - especially if you have a great history with them.

But - be ready with another method of payment if the card ends up "declined".  

I also have a card with Capital One and I have been over my limit once or twice and usually only by about $15 on a $2,000 card.

If you are already at your max limit and try to charge more - the card will be declined.  

• A.J.

There is no exact amount. What it states is:

If you try to make a purchase that exceeds your credit limit, it MAY be approved. It may NOT be approved. If it is approved, there is no fee directly, other than interest rates which are covered in your agreement.

If they allow the first one, they probably will not allow a second one.

You have to ask for a credit increase, and they may or may not approve it.

There are no set amounts. They know your current credit score and payment and purchase history. They choose what to do.

They want the credit paid back, and make a little money on the purchase and more on interest you pay.

Don't expect much.

The key word here is MAY.

They may let you go a bit over if it is one bill - for example - you have a 500 limit, you have 12.00 remaining, and you have a charge for 13.50.

But they can reject it.

Generally, if you have a good record of paying your bills, they may occasionally allow this, but do not be surprised or upset when they refuse the charge,

Depends on your payment history and how far over. Not much I would say. 5% maybe.

They don't tell you because that would be pseudo giving you a higher limit, the amount you can go over won't be the same all the time anyway because they have a monthly budget and their computer decides if there is enough in the budget to let you, every time you use a card the delay in it going through is the computer deciding whether to let it happen or not. There might not be an over the limit fee but it will make you lose in some other way, higher interest, administrative charges, other waffle... Plus they won't increase your limit if you misuse it.