Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 week ago

Were the 1970s and 1980s better times to be a young adult?

63 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 days ago
    Favourite answer

Well I was born in the mid 1950s and life was exceedingly more innocent and nicer then than it is now! We grew up being friendly to, and knowing who are neighbours were. We were brought up to show respect to our elders ,and to be helpful to others. We had small black and white tv sets with 2 channels, radio was the big thing of the day, we went to libraries, read books, walked neighbours dogs, enjoyed making bolser wood model craft  kits of aeroplanes etc..went  for summertime picnics in  the parks' ,  Played football, rounders, rugby or piggy in the middle, skipping, and of course we all joined  in with neighbourhood kids to play "farmers in the den" or "in and out the dancing bluebells"... those were the days of innocence and great fun!

I think the 1980s were the last days of childhood as we once knew it! Once the 1990s came in nothing was ever the same!Kids of today are addicted to screens of all kinds. Innocense no longer exists! Feel very sad how this life has changed, not for the better.

• 6 days ago

The 70's was a time of sit ins, lsd, of protests and standing up for what you believed was wrong with society, rejecting and questioning what you were taught by religions, parents, and refusing to accept the answer we usually got of "because that's just the way it is".  It was also a time of demands toward, freedom from oppression by the church, governments, parents for instance it was wrong for male teens to grow their hair long, they were labeled as hippies, beatniks. 

it was the end of segregation of people of color it was a time of draft dodging as a protest against the war in vietnam because they recognized that all this war did was make the mechanics of war and people who owned them richer and this resulted in the loss of our young men, fighting a war that had no real agenda.

• drip
    Lv 7
    6 days ago

No, not better,  just different. 

• keerok
    Lv 7
    1 week ago

From what I observed, the 70's were full of angst with protest gatherings here, there and everywhere all the time so I didn't think they had fun. The 80's was a blast though!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 week ago

In some ways they were, but then there were problems as well. Throughout much of the 70s there was still this idea that the US was going to become a more caring society and less driven by materialism. Somehow, that collapsed by the late 1970s-early 1980s. As we moved into the 1980s, there was a definite turn towards the materialistic (as in the acquisition of wealth was one of the missions of life). Maybe it was because of Reagan or something beyond that, but we began to lose any sense of social solidarity or community--it was every dog for him/her selves. Companies shifted from caring about their employees and the communities in which they were located to maximizing shareholder value which was the business school mantra. If that meant moving your plant off-shore to save a few dollars, so be it. That has lingered well into the 2000s, but I get the feeling we may be on the verge of a reassessment of that mindset. One positive of the 1970-80s was you didn't feel you had to be connected 24/7. With technology today, there is a dearth of downtime. I hope it will soon be okay to "turn that damn thing off". 

• Al
    Lv 6
    1 week ago

Yes, it was a great time to grow up...yeah it wasn't perfect, but people were far more civil and the media was honest then, the economy wasn't the greatest but families were a lot closer.

• Anonymous
    1 week ago

No, 1950s (unless you’re black) and 1960s were best 

• 1 week ago

Yes absolutely           .

• Prince
    Lv 6
    1 week ago

Oh GOD yes. Our Democracy was strong. We had such hope in our hearts, such beautiful music, and neither Trump nor Covid. There were animal species not yet extinct.

• 1 week ago

Better how?  We certainly has less money, but then things didn't cost as much then either. It was easier to travel, life was less restrictive. BUT there were also shortages of gas which caused huge problems,. drugs were beginning to really become a problem, and the government went through a massive shift in ideology that disenfranchised a lot of people. And women and minority races had fewer rights. Crime was on the up-tick as well. 

So it's all relative. You don't see a lot of the same problems then as you do now, you saw DIFFERENT problems. Every era has it's pluses and minuses. 

• 1 week ago

I think so. But I think most generations look back fondly on the years of their childhood, adolescence and young adulthood and think of that as a better time to grow up. Perhaps not the children of the Depression because that was a time of stress, poverty and broken families. Parents literally took their children to orphanages because they couldn't afford to feed them. We've got some rough times coming, but young adults can be more flexible than older adults.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.