Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 2 months ago

i am an immigrant and i am 20 years old can i serve the american army?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

I'm an immigrant and I joined the Army. You will not be eligible for a security clearance without US citizenship,and when I was in I was limited to two terms (6 years) of service as a foreigner. Of course you need your birth certificate, green card, HS diploma, and take the ASVAB.

You will find out that being from elsewhere has advantages. You may be native in another language or have the right looks to fit into another culture. This goes a long way to getting a mission completed.

I became a citizen and server over 33 years in the Army.  Good luck.

• Cee
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Maybe.

...Hopefully you're fast learner. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Your best best is to talk to a recruiter. I understand enough that the Army may not be as picky as others for selecting people for volunteer service. Maybe they'll toss in citizenship in some capacity. I don't know, but I'm sure that the recruiter does.

Since you choose to be an unknown. Two may play that game?

Your friendly, could be in your neighborhood Veteran guy?

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

There are 2 types of green cards/alien resident cards- permanent and conditional. 

As long as you have a Permanent Alien Resident Card or are a US Citizen you can.  If you are on a student visa, part of the DACA, illegal or have a conditional resident alien card you cannot join. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Well, are you a LEGAL or ILLEGAL immigrant? 

If you are a legal immigrant with a Green Card, then you can try to enlist in the U.S. Army or other branches of the U.S. Military (there are other requirements that you must meet).

If you are an illegal immigrant, then you are not allowed to join U.S. Military. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Lunch. Anytime.Yes.

• Bill-M
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

To join the U.S. Army you have to be a U.S. Citizen or a Green Card Holder.

Green Card Holder must have lived in the United States for a few years first.

• 2 months ago

Yes. Just talk to an Army recruiter. I hope you do well.

• Mrsjvb
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Only if you have Green Card

• Rick
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

all you can do is ask ..........................

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.