Did Jesus lie in Matt 16.28 when he said 'some standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom'?

40 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 days ago

No, and if you ever call him a liar, then forget about heaven. 

Read Mat 24 where the apostles asked Jesus three questions

Matthew 24:2-3 — And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down. And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? 

and what shall be the sign of thy coming, 

and of the end of the age?

Then read all the signs... and then THIS:

Matthew 24:34-35 KJV — Verily I say unto you, >>>This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.<<< Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

The temple destruction occurred 40 years later in 70 AD.

Matthew 24:28 KJV — For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.

The carcase was Jerusalem. The eagles (vultures) were the Roman armies that surrounded and beseiged the city and temple.

Then tribulation at the hands of the Romans

Matthew 24:16-22 KJV — Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains: Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house: Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes. And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days! But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day: For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be. And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

Matthew 10:23 KJV — But when they persecute you in this city, flee ye into another: for verily I say unto you, >>>Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come.<<<

Matthew 24:30-31 KJV — And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, >>>and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.<<<

John was one who lived to see Jesus return....

John 21:21-24 — Peter asked Jesus, “What about John, Lord?” Jesus replied, >>>“If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you?<<< As for you, follow me.” So the rumor spread among the community of believers that this disciple wouldn’t die. But that isn’t what Jesus said at all. He only said, “If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you?” This disciple is the one who testifies to these events and has recorded them here. And we know that his account of these things is accurate.

• 6 days ago

First of all, Jesus does not lie.

When we are reading the Bible, we should imitate the fine examples of Jesus and his faithful followers? First, we can consider the immediate context of the scripture in question. How can the context help us understand the meaning? To illustrate, let us take Jesus’ words recorded at Matthew 16:28: “Truly I say to you that there are some of those standing here that will not taste death at all until first they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.” Some may feel that these words were not fulfilled because all of Jesus’ disciples who were present when he said those words died before the establishment of God’s Kingdom in the heavens. The Interpreter’s Bible even says of this verse: “The prediction was not fulfilled, and later Christians found it necessary to explain that it was metaphorical.”However, the context of this verse, as well as that of the parallel accounts by Mark and Luke, helps us understand the real meaning of the scripture. What did Matthew relate right after the words quoted above? He wrote: “Six days later Jesus took Peter and James and John his brother along and brought them up into a lofty mountain by themselves. And he was transfigured before them.” (Matthew 17:1, 2) Both Mark and Luke also linked Jesus’ comment about the Kingdom with the account of the transfiguration. (Mark 9:1-8; Luke 9:27-36) Jesus’ coming in Kingdom power was demonstrated in his transfiguration, his appearing in glory in the presence of the three apostles. Peter verifies this understanding by speaking of “the power and presence of our Lord Jesus Christ” with regard to his witnessing Jesus’ transfiguration.—2 Peter 1:16-18.

• 6 days ago

Bad translation for modern day readers, it should have said ascending into His Kingdom, not coming in His Kingdom, makes it sound like He should be coming instead of going, He went into His kingdom, He ascended not descended, just a bad choice of words is all, coming in confuses people, ascending to His kingdom would have been a better choice of words, however it was King James times, probably made sense to them

• 1 week ago

That was no lie,just an honest mistake,Only God is infallible.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Jesus said in Matthew 12:28 "But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the Kingdom of God is come unto you."

Read that AGAIN!

"by the Spirit of God" Who is the Holy Spirit

"then the Kingdom of God is come unto you?"

Does it take a rocket scientist to understand that "the Kingdom of God" is "the Holy Spirit?"

"For the Kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost" (Romans 14:17).

"in the Holy Ghost?"

Does it take a rocket scientist to understand that "the Kingdom of God" is "the Holy Ghost?"

"For the Kingdom of God is not in word, but in (((POWER"))) (I Corinthians 4:20).

You mean the same ((("POWER))) that comes upon us" (Acts 1:8) with Holy Spirit baptism (Acts 1:5)?

Does it take a rocket scientist to understand that "the Kingdom of God is "the Holy Ghost?"

Therefore when Jesus promised in Matthew 16:28 "Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in His Kingdom" 

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand Jesus was speaking of "the Holy Ghost" when He promised "there be some of you standing here who won't taste death until you see the Son of man coming in His Kingdom" (Matthew 16:28) 

Who came on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2:2-4) "Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the Kingdom of His dear Son" (Colossians 1:13) when (((HE))) baptized us with the Holy Ghost" (John 1:33) "And hath raised us up together [From our "DEAD spirits" Rm 5:12-14] and sit us in heavenly places in Christ Jesus" (Ephesians 2:6).

• Den B7
    Lv 7
    1 week ago

All he was saying was that he would die and be raised from the dead before they died.

• Alan H
    Lv 7
    1 week ago

No.   His resurrection was the first fruit of the Kingdom

• 1 week ago

His prophecy was fulfilled 8 days after He made the prediction that "some standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom." Peter, John, and James were taken by Jesus to a mountain to pray 8 days later. Those 3 had heard Jesus' prediction earlier. What happened on that mountain was truly a demonstration of seeing Jesus in the glory of the kingdom of God!

As Jesus was praying, those apostles saw Jesus changed into radiance beyond anything seen on Earth. Then they saw Moses and Elijah stand beside this transfigured Jesus, speaking with Him. They too were glorious in their appearance. As Moses and Elijah departed, a cloud descended over them, then they heard the very voice of God from Heaven declaring, "This is my Son, whom I have chosen; listen to him."

If you had witnessed that glorification of Jesus Christ, who is the King of God's Kingdom, would you not have thought immediately of Jesus' prophetic words a week earlier about seeing the Kingdom of God come with power?  I know I would!

• 1 week ago

Revelations 1:1 A revelation by Jesus Christ, which God gave him, to show his slaves the things that must shortly take place. And he sent his angel and presented it in signs through him to his slave John, 2 who bore witness to the word God gave and to the witness Jesus Christ gave, yes, to all the things he saw. 3 Happy is the one who reads aloud and those who hear the words of this prophecy and who observe the things written in it, for the appointed time is near. 4 John to the seven congregations that are in the province of Asia:May you have undeserved kindness and peace from “the One who is and who was and who is coming,” and from the seven spirits that are before his throne, 5 and from Jesus Christ, “the Faithful Witness,” “the firstborn from the dead,” and “the Ruler of the kings of the earth. The Apostle John was still alive at this time.

• 1 week ago

Depends on the sense of "kingdom".  We believe that it is Col. 1:13.  The kingdom was established in Acts 2:47.  "See" could be a figurative revelation, as 2 Thessalonians 1 is a future event many centuries later.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.