Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

What’s a good but not rude reply when you fon’t have kids to “do you have kids?” Or “how old are your kids?” Or “why don’t you have kids?” ?

Can I say “i just don’t” to

“Why dont you have kids”

And if they persist or say “thats not an answer?” What to say then??

Im 50 and often asked by clients/customers at work..

Not every woman has kids.. or grandkids

Or can i say

“Sorry that’s personal” to a nosy client.

**don’t”

Some people are very nosy and pushy and will keep prying for an answer..

But as it’s work i cannot be rude!

Assertively say, 'please respect my privacy'.  If this proves unsuccessful, choose to put your focus elsewhere.

If you don't have kids or ask how old your kids are, say you don't have kids. If they ask why you don't have kids, say 'why do you want to know?' 

"Do you have kids?"

"No, I haven't. Have you?"

Anyone who actually ASKS "why" you don't have any doesn't deserve a polite answer. It is extremely rude to ask a question as personal and potentially painful as that. You don't have to be rude back, but you should certainly raise your eyebrows and change the subject.

Seems it would be easy enough to just say, "I'm 50 and the female reproductive system has an expiration date". 

i just tell people ive never had kids,i dont owe them an explanation

I don't believe the question is too personal to ask, but before answering I read the other answers first.  I think there are a couple that are appropriate.  

Saying "I can't have children" is a conversation ender, which may be the goal.  But I think in the PC world we live in, saying "I have not been blessed" may be better because it leaves unanswered questions of why all of which cross the line of being too personal leaving you the opportunity to slam them as you want to do deep down inside.

• drip

I just don’t,  isn’t an answer.  It sounds childish. In a business situation 

To do you have kids, or how old your kids.  I don’t have children.  Do you? Let them talk about their kids. Or try to steer the conversation back to work issues. Oh I don’t have kids. Did you get my email this morning. 

Why don’t you have kids. Is a rather personal question and rude to ask.  And none of their business. Just  ignore it 

Why don’t I have kids, well that is an in depth questions. You have three kids I heard. How wonderful for you.! ( Said with a smile) and change the subject back to work. Have a standard work question you can pop in. 

Why don’t I have kids. Well that is a lengthy conversation!  And ask a work question back. Change the conversation politely, with a smile and firmly. 

If someone really pushes you, remember they are being rude. Smile and say Because that works best for me. And change the subject. 

I think it is rude when they ask such questions. I remember when I was much younger and when some would see me dating a fellow (I am a woman) and see me with the same fellow more then once, they would ask, when I you getting married? I got so tired of it, that I told them, I am already married, just to keep them quiet

If the question is, "How old are your kids?", I respond, "I have kids??  Since when??  Who's the mother?"  "Why don't you have any kids?"  I need to get married first and that's something I choose not to do.  

Actually, asking why you don't have kids is VERY rude.  It's none of the asker's business.  I'm 63 and don't have any because God decided I shouldn't.  

Be careful about saying, "I've not been blessed" or using any other reference to the "b" word.  You could be screamed at for pushing your religion on some whacked out loon.

Tell them "I've not been blessed". End of discussion.