Are Italians considered white?

I know there is a more in depth answer that goes into social constructs and history and difference in cultures and everything like that, but generally speaking, aren't Italians still considered Caucasian? I'm aware we're all human and bleed the same, so no offense but please save the "we are the world, we are the children" speech lol. 

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

By the modern systems, all original people from the area now called Italy are white.

My family comes from Calabria, I have blond hair and lots of my family members have blue eyes too … White is the term you use to describe European decedents with blond hair and blue eyes.

However, Italian is now a modern nationality so some non-whites do claim Italian.

Since I live in the US, I'm also going to cover the Latin side.

The Latins are the people who built the city of Rome. Valle Latina is still located in Italy. *important* not all Italians are Roman or Latini (notice that i)

The oldest Roman Latin system says their blood came from the war god Mars and other immortals, they were a genetically superior mixed race. That is they weren’t fully human. The idea is still reflected in the statement pure blood.

According to the Roman mythology their human side came from Troy. Iberia Caucasia and Iberia Hispania (Spain) were different places with different races of people.

Past that, the Church who speaks Latin, also known as the Roman Catholic church says there's not such thing as race by genetics (skin color or blood line).

And that were a lot of the confusion about Italians comes from. Nothing in their heritage supports the idea of white.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Because they are stop trying to divide  the White race by saying Italians Greeks and Spanish are  not white .your question is just to cause trouble.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

if you are aware that all humans bleed the same, than their is no logical reason to ask such a question.

you ask this question because you truly don't believe humans are the same and need some justification from others to prove otherwise 

your question also just proves that more people are actually race obsessed or obsessed with whiteness than they really want to admit 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

In Britain that question would simply never arise. All Europeans are white. 

But note, of course, that there have been some black people in many parts of Europe for well over 2,000 years.

One Roman Emperor was black North African. Hardly surprising since North Africa was the 'bread-basket' of the Roman Empire.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Last I saw, Italy was still attached to Europe. But I'll just say this. My Italian grandma was classified by Ellis Island immigration the following way:

Race: caucasian

Nationality: Italian

Ethnicity: southern Italian

Color: brown

I went to Italy in the 1970s and saw all colors of hair, eyes and skin. But many could ha e been tourists like me.

Source(s): A DNA test on myself. This listed all European countries with "5% Middle Eastern or North African"
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

The Italian Nobility are White. Check out the Plantagenêt Ancestry and the genealogy of the Woodville family. Their mother was Jacquetta duchess of Bedford, born Jacqueline de Luxembourg, who descended from the Balzo dukes of Andria in Apulia (Puglia) and the Orsini counts of Nola, and therefore was related to the Orsini popes. Many of the peasants are White also; however, there used to be huge estates called the Latifundia and the Romans imported African slaves to labour agriculturally on the Latifundia. There is sometimes the same mulatto mix of races that you find in Louisiana, where a great many people who pass as White possess some African ancestry. Most famously the Pavageau family of New Orleans, the most famous member of whom was Alcide "Slow Drag" Pavageau who was a founding father of modern Jazz and served as Grand Marshal of the Mardi Gras for 40 years. The Pavageaus were friends with Bienville, the founder of New Orleans, and had French Royal Blood through the Valois and were the wealthiest family in the ancienne régime, owning sugar plantations and thousands of African slaves on Saint Domingue (Haïti). When the slave revolt drove the French planter aristocracy out of Haiti and the Pavageau family escaped with their favourite household slaves, they refugeed in New Orleans and married their own slaves; however, they remained both free and rich and continued to be received at the Royal Court in France during the restoration of the Bourbon dynasty in the 1830s. During the brief Empire of Napoleon, a Pavageau was received by the Empress Josephine. New Orleans, despite 95% of Louisiana's African Americans having been enslaved, had most of the 5% Freed people and mulattoes. New Orleans even had an Octaroon Ball. The Frog Princess is more authentic than meets the eye: to wit, the Villandry Family who moved to New Orleans from Canada and married with the Pavageau family descended from the Marquis de Vaudreuil. I offer these examples because they're more recent and better documented than the same phenomenon which took place in ancient Roman times on the Latifundia. A similar thing occurred in Spain where Arab and Moorish and Jewish blood got mixed into a portion of the population prior to the reconquista in 1492. Again, royalty usually breed with other royalty and the current Queen mother of Spain is a great great granddaughter of Kaiser Wilhelm of Germany. Your Italian royalty are White.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Hahaha these kind of Off-White Dilemma questions 😂😂😂

Well no, most Italians are not considered white just like East Asians are not considered white because they are darker-skinned than your average white-skinned American of northwestern european descent

Caucasian race? What the fvck is that 😂😂 as far as i know Caucasians are those from the CAUCAsus 😂😅😅

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

that depends on whether some racist finds it convenient.

Normal people see a thousand Italians and know that skincolourwise over 900 of them are white - without any "considering"

• 1 month ago

Italians are considered "oliveskins".

Attachment image
  • 1 month ago

The US census classifies all Europeans, western Asians and north Africans as "white". Italy is in Europe so by that classification Italians are "white". 

Caucasians are the people of the Caucasus. This is the area between the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea comprising part of southern Russia, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Armenia, northeast Turkey and northwest Iran. This area is European in the north and Asian in the south.  Most of Europe is not in the Caucasus so most Europeans, whatever their skin colour might be, are not Caucasian.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i think they are considered white

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.