Why are Australian schools not teaching foreign languages?

Mandarin and English are the most likely languages to become official (we have no official language). But why aren’t they taught? Thousands of Europeans, Africans, Hispanics and Asians are losing their language in Australia. Mandarin Chinese is a good second language that should be official, along with English. But if over 4 million Aussies speak a non-English language at home, why is it not taught at schools?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

You are making this up on the run obviously. Great joke but save it for April 1.

• Fred
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Likely Spanish would be a better language to learn for many as it is probably the second most common language spoken around the world.  Chinese is only spoken in China but Spanish is spoken in Spain, the Philippines, quite a few south American and mid American countries as well as Mexico.  Did you know Mexico has 125 million Spanish speaking people which is more than Spanish speakers in Spain.  China may have more Chinese speakers but the ones who leave China speak poor English and no other countries speak it.  So if you plan to travel you are more likely to need to speak Spanish than Chinese.

The big reason learning a second language is not as important is that virtually all non English speaking countries teach English to their students as English is classed as the international language for trade, pilots, sea captains and business and the rest of the world needs to be able to speak it or risk being left behind in business and trade.  You chat to many young Europeans  and they speak very good English as a second language.  In Asia most young Asians have some ability to speak English.  I am sure English is taught in all Chinese schools as a friend of mine considered going there to teach English 20 years ago as the Chinese wanted to employ natural English speaking people to teach in their schools.

• Dj2541
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I have no idea  where  you  get  such  a  unfounded idea. All high  schools  in  Australia  offer  language  courses for their  students. My  big  son  speaks basic    Mandarin, My  second  son  speaks basic  Japanese  and  for  some  unknown  reason  my  daughter  was  taught  Indonesian, one of the most  useless  languages  that  she  could  have  chosen.I have a neice  who  speaks  Spanish  fluently, 2  Nephews  that  speak  Portugese  fluently and these  people  are  all White  Anglo-celtic people  whose  main  language  is  English. All taught  at  High school.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

In the 1850s banknotes in Victoria were printed in English and Chinese.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

they need to act and speak like aussies or go back to so called countries they left cause they hated it 

• 1 month ago

They are Both My neighbours children speak French other friends children Learn German Italian Greek Spanish some even speak Manderin

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

English is the world language.

• arther
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

exactly why multi multiculturalism is stealing our country if you want to speak Chinese go live in China.  Why did these people come to Australia to turn it into a shithole like china?

• 1 month ago

Australian schools teach in the language of the country - official or not, it's English.

• dj
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

There is a lack of interest by students to learn a foreign language

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.