what kind of camera do i need to take slides?

Update:

i would like to photo flowers and other things

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

You need a 35mm film camera and slide film.

• 1 month ago

Build a time machine and go back to 1990.

• F
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

I suppose a 35 my camera and slide film, but why bother when you can do slide shows from your phone or any digital camera.

• garry
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

35 mm film camera , preferably an slr type .they dont make them any more  . only available second hand .

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • W
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Congratulations! You're getting ready to be introduced to real photography! The digital stuff can't compare.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Slides are frames cut from film strips so you would need a film camera. Slide film is also called chrome film or positive film. You can still find chrome film in both 135 (35mm) and 120 (medium format) film sizes. 35mm is more popular and you have more camera choices. If you're lucky or persistent enough, you can still find brand new film SLR.

• Sumi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Technically any film camera that accepts 35mm or 120/220 film will allow you to use slide film.  On a practical level, you're probably not going to buy a medium format camera that takes 120/200 film due to the size, weight and expense.

A pocket camera will technically work, but it's not recommended for two main reasons: 1) they normally do not have wide-angle lenses required for a selfie which is typically taken with the camera held at arms length.  2) The exposure system of pocket cameras are not reliable or sophisticated enough to ensure proper exposure of slide film.

Unlike print film where if you should overexpose it by a few stops, you won't see any adverse affects.  In fact, you may find that the colors are more vibrant.  Not so with slide film!  If you overexpose slide film, the film becomes more and more clear with no possibility of recovering the image.  You need to be very accurate with slide film, meaning that the exposure must be within about 1/2 stop of "correct" exposure.  Pocket cameras, with the exception of high-end ones like the Contax G, simply don't have the ability to dial in the exposure or even do it automatically reliably.

Therefore, in order to take selfies with slide film, you really should get an SLR.  With very few exceptions (e.g. Canon T50, Nikon EM, Minolta 3000) SLRs provide full manual control over the exposure system.  The later models with auto focus, especially those by Nikon & Canon, have exposure systems good enough to put it into full auto and get a reasonable number of frames with exposures that are good enough.  Of course, if "good enough" isn't good enough, you can easily adjust the exposure using exposure compensation or by putting the camera in manual mode.

I'd look at any of these bodies as great ones to have.  However, since you do not state what you want to photograph, it's hard to say which one would be best for you.  I listed the bodies from least to most capable.

Canon: Elan, Elan II, A2, EOS 3, EOS 1

Nikon: N6006, N8008, N8008S, N90, N90S, F300, F5

• Robin
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Anyone as the development is just different 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.