Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOptical · 1 month ago

Is it ok to be a cheerleader and wear glasses?

I am a sophomore in high school and we just started school, because of covid 19 the first part of school was online. During the first day of school and noticed in my classes that I could not see the board or smart screen even when I was squinting. I told my mom and she took me to the eye doctor and I got glasses. Well, I am a cheerleader at my school and 2 other cheerleaders told me I can't wear glasses and be a cheerleader. Is it ok to wear glasses and be a cheerleader? 

• Jmax
    7 days ago

Yes. Why not. The other cheerleaders might be jealous that you are the only one wearing glasses. 

• Zyzzyx

I recently saw an article about a girl who is a champion gymnast and wears glasses.

So why not for cheerleading?

i have seen many cheerleaders wear glasses. Just make sure that they fit tight and properly and you will be fine!

Can you see well enough without your glasses to perform the cheers.

They are right - you can't cheer WHILE wearing glasses - but if you don't need the glasses 100% of the time - then there is no reason you can't leave the glasses in your locker while you are on the field cheering.

Talk to your eye doctor about this.  The can tell you if it is safe to leave your glasses of while cheering - and it probably will be.  

Don't worry. With the pandemic, school sports including cheerleading, will likely be discontinued. Focus on the important things, like your eyes and education.

There are parts of cheerleading that may be difficult with glasses on. You can certainly take them off before doing stunts where they are likely to fall off. Not wearing them at all when you cheer seems like a less than ideal choice. It is pretty important for your cheers to be appropriate to what is happening on the field or court. Contact lenses would probably be a great choice.

Of course it’s ok, really