Problem with external DVD-RW...?

I can see that my ASUS external DVD writer is recognized by my PC in both windows 7 and the boot menu. But my PC still won't read any DVDs from it. The DVD and The DVD writer both work fine in my laptop. The external DVD writer supports USB 2.0 and 3.0 connectors, and the drivers in the windows are updated.

How can I fix the problem?

Are you trying to use it in a front USB port on the PC? 

Try a rear one - and the same USB cable that works with the laptop.

USB devices that include motors or high power components are extremely sensitive to the resistance of the connecting cable; too long or too thin and the voltage at the device drops to the point it resets each time it tries to draw full power.

A short, fat, USB cable (the one supplied with the drive) direct to a rear port on a PC should fix that.

(The front USB ports on a PC often have rather thin internal link cables that make this type of problem rather worse).

Your PC,probably,reads only CD disks.Read user guide

• L.N.

Are you perhaps a Turbo Tax user? Turbo Tax has a copy protection app that it installs called CDilla that can cause problems sometimes.