Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelIrelandOther - Ireland · 1 month ago

Why do some Irish people feel if you are not 75% or more then dont say you are Irish, or of you dont have red hair blue eyes and freckles? ?

Is that just kind of an ignorant American thinking? 

I'm Irish. Of course being Irish is about the blood in your veins, but it's also about who you are. Yanks come to Ireland and say "I'm Irish! My mother's grandmother was from Cork! My name's Tommy O'Sullivan! I'm one of you!" And it's just straight bollocks. If you weren't raised here, you're not Irish. You're Irish-American. It doesn't matter if you're one hundred percent Irish in terms of ancestry. We've got national heroes who were half Irish, but lived here, they were familiar with the culture. If my gran had been born in Walla Walla instead of Waterford could I claim to be American? Get over yourselves. It's not our fault you're looking to identify with something. What's lacking in your own life that you're compelled to seek that kind of validation from strangers? There's nothing wrong with being Irish-American. It's a lovely culture. But it's not OUR culture. Many places in the world welcomed us Irish and we thrived. We're grateful for that. But quit trying to elbow your way in to our culture. If a baby born to an Irish ma and an Irish da were to be adopted on the day of his or her birth and raised in fecking Lithuania for 25 years and returned would that young lad or lass be Irish or Lithuanian? Boyo, the Pakistanis and Somalis I play footy with in the park at the weekend would be more Irish. It's not a numbers game and never has been. 

Because theyre nationalist idiots. My dad is irish, my mother is from nz and i was born in london. I moved here when i was 2 years old yet people tell me im not irish. What else would i be? English? I know nothing of england. I know ireland, its my home.

• Zirp

I guess they are infected with racism

For most ethnicities, LANGUAGE is the main criterion.

If you don't speak the language you are not part of the ethnicity

But then Irish aka Gaeilge was almost eradicated by the English

Lol no real Irish person goes by that percentage shite. That's what Plastic Paddies do. Who usually are stupid Yanks, who seem to have no real grasp on what what being Irish actually is.