Are chitlins actually any good?

They are certainly an Acquired taste. 

its subjective  to some people  they are  i know my aunts dog consumes them with  vigor

I remember 'chitterlings' in a crib for a translation from French at school in the late 1950s.  None of us (in southern England) knew what chitterlings were, but guessed at some sort of food from context.

A couple of years ago I had occasion to ask a group of friends about chitterlings - only one out of a group of 10 knew what chitterlings were.

• JOHN B

Deep fried and coated with batter are good.

• SW-6

IMO you have to grow up eating them on a kind of regular basis, as opposed to being introduced to them when you are older. Like one of those foods you see it and want to vomit and others cant wait to get some, cause they have always eaten and loved it.  Liver, stewed okra, pigs feet, scrapple, head cheese, spam - you gotta get hooked on that stuff early or else you ain't never gonna eat it.   I am not a fan of chitlins, but can see how some people love them.  Served over rice with lots of the gravy, I have seen it devoured in no time, finger licking good, etc.  LOL!  To me, the thought of what they are and the smell before you clean them makes it almost impossible to enjoy them.  :)

• ?

They’re alright

• kswck2

They are certainly an Acquired taste. And easily ruined if you don't know what you are doing. 

In the hands of someone who knows what they are doing, they are delicious. A hospital executive with whom I worked asked my wife and me over for Christmas eve lunch. One dish on the menu was chitterlings. They probably had several hours of prep time and were finished in the oven with a BBQ sauce. They were delicious. This was in New Orleans, where the bar for good food is really high, and this dish was superb.

No....................

just try them and see and then you'll know