Does more volts with less amps perform better than more amps with less volts?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Depending on the scenario.... 🤔 

• 2 months ago

Increasing voltage reduces the required current = more efficient.

The drawback = a larger shock hazard.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Whatever you're powering will have a set voltage that it's supposed to be hooked up to.  The thing you have to watch out for is current (amps).  You have to make sure that the device you're powering up doesn't draw more current than the power supply can handle. 

• 2 months ago

olts times amps = watts. watts is what counts,........

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Me2
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It's important to clearly define "perform".  Examples — For supplying power over a significant distance, the voltage should be high to reduce losses due to wire resistance.  High power devices (i.e., greater than a couple of kilowatts) may operate on 220 or 440 VAC to reduce amperage (current flow), allowing for lighter wiring.  With audio speakers, low impedance (meaning low resistance) allows for less costly low voltage power supplies.  But, higher voltage with lower current isn't necessarliy more efficient, and tends to require more expensive components that tolerate the higher voltage.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

it depends on your needs, and the needs of the equipment in use.

generally speaking, more amps requires thicker wiring, due to the heat buildup. because amps times volts equals watts (A x V = W), the more amps you use, the less volts needed, but the thicker wires you will need.

of course, higher amps can be more deadly, and lower amps is always safer (even 0.1 amps can kill someone!).

and considering you can always boost amps after the electricity is in the device (within reason), again, depending on the device and what it needs, you want to base your choices around what is best for the device. different types of devices have different needs, and different "what's best"s.

https://homeandworkpowertools.com/is-higher-amps-b...

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/16...

• Mike W
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Whatever you're powering will have a set voltage that it's supposed to be hooked up to.  The thing you have to watch out for is current (amps).  You have to make sure that the device you're powering up doesn't draw more current than the power supply can handle.  

Current is directly proportional to voltage, and inversely proportional to resistance. expressed as E = IR.  If you increase the voltage without increasing the resistance, current will increase.  If you decrease the voltage without decreasing resistance, current will decrease.  

• 2 months ago

volts times amps = watts.  watts is what counts, other things being equal

• 2 months ago

Not necessarily, but no-one here knows what the heck YOU are waffling on about. i.e. a bit of information from you wouldn't go amiss.

Edit: It appears that I've upset some clown.  I sincerely pity that person's lack of intelligence.

• 2 months ago

For what?          .

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.