Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceStudying Abroad · 2 months ago

Would attending a foreign medical school be expensive?

If I went to medical school in Mexico or the West Indies, what would be my living expenses outside of tuition, fees, and books?

What's "expensive" to you? If you had to come up with $2,000 a month, would that be "expensive"? What about $3,000? Your living expenses would be determined largely by your quality of life, which is probably the case for people living where you live now. I live in a modest single family home - it's about 1,500 square feet. If I wanted to live in a dingy studio apartment on the south side of town, I could probably cut my living expenses down by two-thirds. But I don't want to live in a dingy studio apartment on the south side of town. I like my one story home with my little yard and my two porches. If you decide to live in a nice, clean, comfortable place in Mexico or some Caribbean island, whether it's a dormitory accommodation or an off campus apartment, you're going to have to pay the going rate for nice, clean, comfortable housing in that area. If your main concern is saving money, you could opt to move into something less nice, not as clean, and not as comfortable and you might be able to save a little. Obviously things like utilities, food, transportation, etc., will depend on where you are. Mexico is insanely cheap compared to many parts of the US, but in the Caribbean it really depends on which island you're talking about and which part of the island you're talking about. There's also the safety factor to consider. There are some lovely parts of Mexico, but there are some incredibly dangerous areas too. The same goes for the Caribbean. Don't let the picture postcards fool you - there are parts of The Bahamas, Barbados, Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks & Caicos, etc. that are incredibly unsafe. Before you can get an idea of what your expenses might look like, you'd need to know where you were going to be studying or living specifically. 

Where do you live now?

You'd have to pay for all living costs - rent, utilities etc. Also insurance. And anything else you needed. 

You'd also need to be clear your qualifications would be recognised in your own country, and that you'd be able to complete your residency somewhere. 

You may save money, however, many people who are doctors in their country of origin (Mexico, India, etc) wind up not being able to practice in the United States because of the difference between requirements of each country. If you are intending to live and practice in a foreign country, then by all means, train in that country. But, if you are intending to live and practice wherever you live now... you'll want to train there. 

Living expenses: everything you need to live, including rent, utilities, outfitting a place to live (furniture, fittings, linens, household equipment, cleaning supplies, etc.), groceries & household supplies, health insurance (& med students need special, expensive, health insurance), transportation including local transportation, clothing, laundry, etc. You should expect additional school expenses: medical bag & equipment, lab coats, student jackets, computer & software & peripherals & internet access, more. Some schools offer intranet service for online tutorials, med student review meetings, etc. (cost $135/month for a friend when he was in med school). And there may be additional expenses. Expect NO financial aid for foreign students.

Even if your med school & degree qualify you to sit your country's medical exams, expect difficulties passing those exams, as well as difficulty obtaining placements for post-degree clinical training (residency, internship, etc.) in your country. And you are NOT going to qualify for such positions abroad. You can only work in your country of citizenship, IF you pass your exams, and IF you can get a placement for post-degree clinical training.