Ed asked in PetsDogs · 3 weeks ago

is a collar necessary after dog is spayed?

Yes, to prevent the dog from licking or tearing the stitches.

• Maxi

Do you mean an elizabethan collar which stops the dog licking or biting at its wound/stitches? Depends on the dog, depends on its obedience, I do not use them, I tell my dogs to 'leave it'..if I had a dog who didn't or I was having to leave my dog unattended I would use a body wrap instead however most people don't have them,

A normal collar, then yes

A normal collar - why not?   Makes no difference whether the b itch is entire or not.   

If you mean one to prevent her getting to the wound, unless you are there 24/7 and if there's any remote chance of her not leaving it alone, yes.   You could try the soft round inflatable collars rather than the e-collars which we have never been able to keep on our hounds.

No.  I think you need the collar so you can have the tags on your dog and IF your dog becomes violent someone has a chance of getting a grip on the dog to pull them back. 

the elizabethan collar? Ask the vet.

• Lili

A regular collar?  

Why wouldn't it be?

If you mean the type of cone collar (they come in inflatable versions, too) that prevents a dog from scratching or worrying a surgical site, yes, those collars are useful after spaying and recommended by vets.