Can an apartment complex force you to switch to online payment and not accept checks? Charleston, SC?

I don't live at a particularly nice apartment complex, but without them taking a paypal account, I don't really trust them with the ability to draw money from me without my consent. If no one does know the answer, do you have any secondary ideas about how to find out the answer. talk to an attorney? go talk face to face to the head of the office and see what they can do for me? Any random piece of advice would be appreciated.

Giving them a check also gives them the ability to withdraw money from your account without your consent.  The check has all of the information they would need (your name, address, account number, and bank routing number).

I would try to use a credit car for any automatic payment because that gives the payee much more control to withdraw permission for the payer to continue to draw payments.

First of all, read your lease. Does it indicate what forms of payment are acceptable? If it says that checks are acceptable, then you can continue to pay by check (at least until it's time to renew your lease).

Check with your bank to verify how disputes are resolved if they decide to draft your account in excess of what the rental agreement allows.

Find out if your bank can send you alerts if there's any abnormal transactions on your account.

See how difficult it is to set up multiple accounts with your bank where you can automatically xfer the rent amount on the 28th of each month so that this secondary account has no more money in it than what's required to cover the rent. (I have four additional accounts along with my main account just for things like this)

Ask the manager if they have the ability to just charge your credit card instead. Credit cards give you more protection against unauthorized charges.

They can't just take your money.  They go to jail for that.

Talk to your bank about the security of that. It is free and saves you from paying an attorney, who knows less about it than the bank anyway. You can check your account online to see the withdrawal amount and date. 

I pay a lot of bills that way. 

• Bill

as far as I know cash is legal tender. Transferring fund electronically is fine but avoid direct debit. Can you pay directly into the account.