Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 3 weeks ago

Clothes are fitting me yet the scale hasnt gone down?

Im 23 years old, 5’11 & 234 lbs. i started a strength training program 2 1/2 months ago and I also do a lot of cardio. Ive been eating at a caloric deficit with some leeway junk food. Well, Ive been at the same weight for about a month and before I started the program I was about 240 lbs and my clothes i used to wear would not fit me at all. Im now 234 and they fit me alot better, a little tight but i can confidently wear a shirt and feel good. But why is this? 6 lbs isnt a significant difference in losing weight. And when im not working out, 234 lbs is super heavy for me but I feel great at the moment and want to hit atleast 210/215. 

• .

You said yourself "I started a strength training program 2 1/2 months ago" which implies you already know the answer to your question. Muscle is a heavy tissue but takes up less space than fat. Someone may be heavier than you, but wear smaller size clothing, because they have a lot of muscle. The scales are only one indicator of body changes. Another is body measurements (upper arms, chest, waist, hips, upper thighs, calves). Retaking measurements every 2 wks or every 4 wks gives another indication of body changes when working to lose fat or to build muscle. 

As the previous person said, muscle is more dense than fat.  You've lost fat and gained more muscle.  Take your measuresments and write them down somewhere and the date you took them and then do it again a few weeks later and I'd be surprised if you didn't notice a difference.  Since you're upping your expercise regime don't get so fixated on weight alone as a measures of your success.  Also, as your fitness improves so should your posture and this definitely makes your clothes sit better.  Well done for the changes you've made so far, you're definitely heading in the right direction.

Muscle weighs more than fat. If more of your body mass is muscle, because you're doing strength training, then your body is smaller even if it weighs the same.