How do deal with a teacher you don’t like?

I’m in college and have 5 different professors on rotation. 3 of them are great, 1 of them is alright but the last one I can’t stand. She’s just extremely nitpicky and will not hesitate to try and humiliate you in front of the rest of the class if you mess up even once. I usually have her for 2 hours every other week (sometimes 6 if she wants another lesson to go over our work more) and I absolutely dread her lessons. I considered switching courses but I really love the rest of my classes and I’d be so mad at myself if I stopped doing what I want to do just because I didn’t get along with one of my teachers. Any advice on how to get through these lessons?

Suck it up and get the grade. Get your degree and move on without dwelling on such.

please remember it is just one class.

When you know she's "nitpicky" you make certain there are no nits in your work or behaviour for her to pick.

Other than that, you just suck it up and remind yourself this is ONE teacher out of five. It's not for ever.

• John P

What is more to the point - how does a teacher deal with students she does not like?

I think it helps to remind myself that there will be people I don't 100% get along with everywhere and I need to be able to conduct myself respectfully with everyone. 

Welcome to life.  There are always going to be people who you don't like, don't agree with, or who rub your the wrong way.  You deal with it by dealing with it. You actually don't have to spend very much time with this professor, so your goal is to try to adjust how you do your work for this class and this professor so that you don't get dressed down in front of the class.

Another thing is that in a lot of fields, being absolutely precise is really important.  You may see her as nit picking, but she may be doing you a huge favor that you'll appreciate down the road when you're in a job.

The more you can go with the flow and try to adapt and not let her get to you, the better.  This is a skill you will need for the rest of your life. 

This is something you have to deal with in life, whether it is a boss you don't like, a client you don't like, customer, etc. Sometimes you just have to deal with it until you can change the situation (get new job, etc). In this case, you just have to try your best and realize that it will be over in the relatively near future.

• martin

Depending on your goals, either deliberately tick him or her off, assuming you don't need a decent grade, or swallow your pride and play ball to get a passing grade, if needed for your goals.

• Kenny

Think of it as a trial you have to complete .  You will need to get along wit other bad people later . She is probably a liberal .

Just keep in mind that you will not have to take her class again. Soon the semester will be over, and you can celebrate.