Lydia asked in PetsCats · 4 weeks ago

Kitten pestering cat?

Hello, I have a 17 week old kitten, I’ve had him since 6 weeks old as someone not so trustworthy was giving him away and I thought better him come to me than someone else so with him being so young he didn’t learn how to behave from his mum.

I also have another cat who I rescued last year, she’s around 2 and was always a platlyful loving cat and since getting the kitten she’s a different cat, she’s always loved the outdoors but she tends to just come home for her tea and then go out again, whenever they are in the same room together my kitten just pounces on her and she screams, hisses and growl and runs away but he just doesn’t let up, I’ve tried to stop it by catching my kitten and putting him in time out for a few minutes but it does nothing, I’ve tried spraying water but I worry it will get my older cat and she will think she’s in trouble, I’ve tried yelling at him but nothing works I’m at a loss at what to do, he’s been castrated last week in hopes it will calm him but nothing seems to work.

Has anyone got any ideas, I worry so much about my original cat she just seems a shell if herself, and on edge all the time

TIA

• Ocimom

Boys will be boys.  He's a kitten, full of energy and prefectly normal.  Do not punish him for his actions.  Is he neutered yet?  If not, have him done quickly - he is at the ideal age to neuter (4 months).  If she goes outside, she will not get used to him - keep her inside so she learns how to interact before she winds up running away.

• Maxi

You are heading for the older cat, not returning at all, it will find another home to live in and to feed it and you will ls it as life in your hme has changed and cats do not like that.......... you need to exercise and play with the kitten daily to use its excess energy up...'time out' doesn't work for cats and as you  are someone who collects unwanted cats you need to learn about cats/kittens and what they need as there is no point in taking in someone elses cat and losing he one you already have,,you need a cat tree, so the older one can get high up and can swat the new one if it doesn't want to play..you are the one who got it, you are the one who needs to use up its energy

I agree with the comment saying that you need to stimulate the kitten more. Giving it something else to focus his kitten energy on will make him less likely to go after your other cat. You absolutely should play with the kitten more to wear him out, that way he won't constantly turn to your other cat for playtime. 

While neutering the kitten won't decrease his natural kitten energy, it absolutely makes cats less territorial, and less likely to start fights. I don't know if the other commenter only has one indoor cat, or what, but getting your cat fixed should ease some tension. Although it doesn't seem as dominance is the goal of the kitten, your older cat just doesn't know how to assert herself enough to stop the kitten.

That means it's up to you to set boundaries. Timeouts don't work with cats, they don't understand it. You have the right idea spraying him, but as you've noted it's not helping. Just separate your kitten when he's harassing your older cat. If you need to, take him into a different room (if that's what you mean by timeouts, then I take back what I said earlier).

Most importantly, you need to stimulate your kitten. It's natural for him to turn to you older cat for playtime, so you need to give him other forms of entertainment.

You need to give the older cat more time. Eventually she will assert her dominance, but that may take months. If the kitten is NOT neutered, it should be neutered?as?soon as possible. It may already be too late to have the kitten declared in front. 

I was given two young kittens originally adopted from the shelter not quite?2 years?ago. I already had a cat who is 10 or 11 years older I had adopted from the shelter in early December 2013. She had been returned to the?shelter

The younger neutered male kitten was VERY shy and at most 3 months old. I barely saw him at all the first 10 days. Then he started showing up when I fed them. Now he is a very big very handsome cat who pro ably weighs a little over 20 pounds. He's more than twice Wight of the somewhat older young female and 3 times the weight of the older cat who has lost weight over the last year. She has kidney problems, not unusual in 12 0r13 year old cat. She doesn't hesitate to hiss at or wap the male cat across the muzzle if he gets too close. With the female young cat she used to have fisticuffs episodes. I haven't seen that happening in the last few months. 

These are indoor cats?only. The older cat used to be an inside outside cat, but my current apartment management is really hyper about tenants keeping control of their pets and cleaning up after them, with very good reason. One tenant's grandson's dog nearly killed another tenants dog At the beginning of the calendar year. 

Cats have dominance fights several times a year

This is TOTALLY normal. The kitten is a territory invader for your older cat and a rival for your time and attention. Give your older cat more time to adjust. 

YOU need to work the kitten out and play with him more. YOU, YOU, YOU, YOU. If your older cat is more docile and not up for a fight and putting the kitten in his place, it's up to you to set boundaries and wear him out until he's too pooped to do anything. Time outs don't work with kittens and getting him neutered will not calm him down. You only cut of his baby making juice, nothing else. I don't know why people still believe this myth that getting an animal altered "calms them down." IT DOES NOT. 

If you haven't already, get him a cat tree, something he can climb, more toys, a scratcher, some foil balls, anything to take his attention away from the older cat. Part of having a baby animal is YOU teaching it boundaries. You can't leave it to the other cat, though most times, it does work out that way. You need to play him more, play him hard, and wear him out.