Is it bad to schedule multiple interviews for different jobs?

I’m looking for a new job and usually I don’t get many call backs for an interview. For every 10/15 or so applications I might get 1 call back. Right now I have 6 jobs that want to interview me and I scheduled all of them over the next 4 days. Not all of them are jobs I want. 3 are ones I actually I want because I like the job and the other 3 pay well which I know isn’t the best reason to apply but my family is having money issues so I’ll take what I can get. My boyfriend says its rude to apply for jobs I’m not truly interested but my mom said I probably won’t get hired at all of them so its good to have back up plans.

• L

As long as none of them are at the same time - go for it, however, when you're being interviewed - do NOT tell them you have more interviews already scheduled.

No, quite the opposite actually. More interviews more opportunities,,....

You should apply/interview for a job that you know you won't take even if it is offered to you.  But if you are going to take the job if you don't get any of the others, then it's okay.

No, it isn't bad or rude.  It is poor form to apply to a job you know you won't take for any reason.  If you would take any of these jobs if it was the only one offered, you're fine.

If, after an interview, you know for sure that you are not interested in the job, you should inform the company.  The same is true once you accept a job offer -- take your name out of consideration at the other companies.

• Go to the interviews, at least that will give you some practice which can make you more confident for future interviews. It'snot common to get job offers from every interview you go to.

You can always politely turn down a job if it's offered to you.

If you need a job then you shouldn't be too picky. But if you're not interested in working for a company, you  may end up not liking your job. 

It's always good to have a back up plan.

• H

You think the interviewers are gonna dedicate their time to just you? They are interviewing other candidates too. Employers only look out for their own interest. You should do the same.

First of all congrats on all the interviews!

Do all the interviews. You might get offered them all, or you might get offered none, or anything in between. But what a great position to be in.

Do them all, see what comes of them and then make your decision.

Nothing rude about applying for jobs you aren't interested in and it's strange that your b/f thinks it is. At the end of the day, you need to think of yourself, and if that means doing a job you don't enjoy for a bit, then so be it. If you have bills to pay, then sometimes needs must.

No, quite the opposite actually.  More interviews = more opportunities.  

• Alex

Not only is it not 'bad', but it is a very good idea.  First of all, interviewing is a skill, and like all skills it only can be improved with practice.  A great way to practice is going to interviews for jobs you know you don't want.  

As for applying for multiple jobs you do want, that is also a good idea.  You better believe that the companies will schedule multiple people to interview for any given position.  It would be unfair to expect you to not interview multiple companies.

• Sandy

mother knows best. life experience carries a lot of weight.