Anonymous

Are you allowed to be at school if the campus is closed?

It says that the college campus will be closed for a few days for Thanksgiving and I'm wondering if I'm allowed to stay in my dorm or if I have to return home.

That depends on the college and university policy. Usually you CAN stay in the dormitory, but you may be responsible for your security and safety if the college or university is private like Tulane University. Many college students, particularly graduate students and students with children or who have jobs or may not have a home they want to or can go home to do stay on campus. . Housing is usually  not going to confiscate your dormitory keys or lock everyone out.. At Tulane campus security may not be available. At the University of Oklahoma campus security is still there on at least 3 campuses. I had to move to another dorm for about 3cweeks?at the University of Arizona only because my dorm was being refurbished and remodeled in 1976. I didn't have a car and my father was semi retiring at the end of May, but he was 1500 miles from Tucson. 

• drip

You need to get facts from your housing office. Most dorms are closed for school breaks.   You can not stay on campus. It is a safety issue. 

Some universities will make arrangements for student who can’t go home, like international students or student in sports who have practice or games. You can’t stay just because you don’t want to go home.

Each university will handle it differently. 

Colleges vary, so you need to find out your own college's policy.

Typically, students are allowed to stay in their dorms over shorter breaks like Thanksgiving, since many international students would have nowhere else to go. You might have to register, however, to be allowed to stay in the dorms. 

Libraries, etc. will be closed. Dining facilities will likely be closed, too, although they may keep one open if enough students plan to remain on campus. 

That's a question for the student housing office.  

Usually the "closed" means that the dining halls, library, classrooms, gym, and administrative offices, etc. are closed.  There is not staff and no services.  Some school do require student to leave the dorms and some allow students to stay.  The students just have to fend for themselves over that period of time.  Many U.S. universities traditionally allow students to stay in the dorms over Thanksgiving because it is just a long weekend, but do require student to leave for the Winter Break.  Universities that are finishing all in-person classes this year at Thanksgiving, will probably require student to leave the dorms at that time too.

officially, you have to be off campus during those days ["home" is required].  and, at least at my university, there were always a few men who stayed in the dorms ... they just didn't make any waves about it, left no trash, and ate off campus.

• MS

You'll have to ask someone at your school, as policy on this varies. Some allow studnets to stay, some allow students to stay but in alternative accommodations where all the students staying over break will stay together, and some don't allow it at all except in extreme circumstances. 

• fcas80

Ask your dorm advisor.

• Sandy

You'll need to ask someone in charge at the school in question. Not all schools/colleges have the same policies.