When receiving a no to a request, is it childish to ask why?

The context is, that if I, for example, ask someone to meet up or say can I join this with you or whatever, and they say no. Is it childish to try and get a reason why?

I am just trying to understand the psychology of it. Would it be more mature to simply accept that they don't want to, or is being curious about the reasons actually well... reasonable?

I am quite curious about the psychology and social aspects of this from someone who has more expertise on this.

anything appreciated

I don't mind someone declining but it can be done more polite. Like "Sorry, I can't come." or "Thanks for the offer, but no." 

Saying just plain "no" comes off as cold and dry. If someone was to tell me just no I would not ask why unless they already agreed to come with me previously. I'd probably just respond with "ok". I usually go off the vibe you give me. If they act dry, then I will too. 

Depends on your relation, but I don't think anyone has to provide a reason if they are not that close to you. 

If you are curious, you can always ask "may I ask, why not?" But you risk sounding naggy. 

I really don't what happened to you but sometimes when I don't want to hurt someone's feelings, I'd rather not say anything. But this is just me, and not always. As I said depends on who you asked.