Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 4 weeks ago

I need a solution with my cat?

My cat sleeps in my bedroom and wakes up at 5 am and begins scratching at the closed door. If I let her out she won’t go downstairs and explore by herself, she’ll sit in the hall which echoes and makes her meows even louder, and she’ll start scratching at the storage room door. So I keep her in because letting her out , her meows get louder. I tried blocking the door with a cabinet and she started scratching at my closet trying to open it. I need a solution because I can’t keep waking up for an hour at 5 trying to sleep again . I’ve started getting headaches when I sleep again after waking up 

How can I approach this?

• Ana

Keep the door cracked, dingus. And if that doesn’t work then ignore her until she stops whining. Make sure she has food and water 

My cat used to scratch at my door all night if I didn't let her in. One way to solve this problem would be to keep your door open a crack, so she can come and go as she pleases. Or you can keep her out of your room at night.

But if you absolutely can't keep your door open, and you won't kick her out at bedtime, then you're going to have to enforce that her meowing will not let her back in. My cat would scratch at my bedroom door because I always let her in. Obviously I can't ignore her, because then she'll keep meowing and scratching. So I would have to get up and push her away from the door, to let her know I was awake but wasn't letting her in. After a few weeks of this she stopped scratching at the door. 

But really the easiest solution is to just leave your bedroom door open.

Keep the door open a crack so she can come and go and doesn't scratch. You can't keep cats in/out. She'll tear the bloody door off.

• Bec

Ignore her. It may be her "routine" because you've allowed it to become like that.

Try playing games (dangler toys, make her realy work) before bed time to try and tire her out before sleep.

What does she do at 5am? Use the litter box? - provide a box in your room. Eat some food - feed her a little more so there is food left for her at 5am/if it's your thing get an automatic feeder to dispense.

If she just walks around and yowls, you go over and pick her up, she settles type thing then it's probably her wanting attention and she's figured out what gets your attention

Go to bed earlier so you can get up at 5.

Get a food bowl that is set to dispense kibbles at 5am..

There are also interactive toys that run a laser pointer that can be set on a timer..

Clearly that's not ur cat