why did paul say people will fall away because of so call knowledge ?

Update:

1 timothy 6:20,21

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

He knew that people would realize that it was b.s. sooner or later.

It's actually the only 'prophetic' thing in the entire book.

• David
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Many will, and already have, fallen for the belief that they're smarter than God.

• Carym
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

It's not just about the time and effort Paul invested in Timothy's life (see also 2 Timothy 1:14) it also applies to today's Christian.

Paul's reference to "deposit" conveys the unchanging Word of God. We may never water down the Truth (or make room for our 'own' opinion, or that of the so-called wise and their sciences). The responsibility lies with every Christian, especially when it comes to the ministry, to guard the revelation of God. Paul, therefore, warns against 'different doctrines' and unprofitable speculation (pagan philosophy), to avoid antithesis.

Some who have answered here are guilty as charged. What can I say except that 'glistening pumpkins' still remain pumpkins?

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

1 timothy 6:20, 21 NIV

Timothy, guard what has been entrusted to your care. Turn away from godless chatter and the opposing ideas of what is falsely called knowledge, 21 which some have professed and in so doing have departed from the faith.

It doesn't say anything about "people" falling away, it was a charge to Timothy, some here are conflating the word "knowledge" with "science".

"opposing ideas of what is falsely called knowledge"  ALSO known as lies, deceptions, or just plain old WILLFUL ignorance.  Science is the pursuit of or conformation of, verifiable, reproducible, results, Science is NOT ideologically or theologically based OPINIONS. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

Often it's because people don't emulate the noble Bereans.

Ac 17:11 Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.

Instead, they simply accept as true whatever they are told, especially if the preacher seems like a nice guy and appears to be knowledgeable.  They don't check the scriptures to see if what he or she is saying really is in the Bible.

Christians are just as vulnerable as anyone about this.  The third step in the spiritual growth sequence is "knowledge" (2Pet 1:5-10).  This is where a lot of new Christians falter.  They put knowledge of God's word on a back burner, and then when later confronted with false teachings (including "so-called knowledge"), they are unable to recognize them as such and often end up following those teachings and thus doing the exact opposite of what God wants, even to the point that they renounce their faith in Christ because Christianity doesn't seem to work for them.  How can it work for them when they aren't even going by it?

We know from historical records outside the Bible that what Paul was referring to was probably the first inroads of Gnosticism into Christianity.  Gnostics were people who claimed to be Christians and also claimed to have some sort of special knowledge given to them that wasn't necessarily found in God's word.  And they led many a Christian astray.

• 3 weeks ago

This was a reference to the big threat to Christianity in those days, Gnosticism. This was a religious practice that said you could be saved by special knowledge about God. ('gnosis' is the Greek word for 'knowledge'.) It claimed that if you were taught by the privileged few, who had secret knowledge about God, you too could rise to become saved. That was what Paul was warning Timothy to be on guard against.

• 3 weeks ago

When a Christian "God put His law in our hearts and minds" (Jeremiah 31:33-34; Hebrews 8:10-12; 10:16-17) after Jesus "chooses and ordains us" (John 15:16) to be Christians when (((HE))) baptizes us with the Holy Ghost" (John 1:33) and we "join to His Spirit" (I Corinthians 6:17) in order for Him to "give commandments through the Holy Ghost" (Acts 1:2).

(((ANYTHING))) besides THOSE "commandment" (Acts 1:2) from "God, who quickeneth all things" (I Timothy 6:13) is what we "keep that and is committed to our trust, avoiding profane and vain babbling and oppositions of science falsely so called [That's not from the Spirit; John 3:27; I Corinthians 2:10]:  Which some professing have erred concerning the faith.  Grace be with thee. Amen" (I Timothy 6:20-21)! 

Today's Christians are IGNORANT (((THINKING))) they can do anything without the Spirit telling them what to do (John 5:30) and the only way they can hear from the Spirit is when Jesus baptizes us with the Holy Ghost (John 1:33) so we can reconnect (II Corinthians 5:18-20) to His Spirit (I Corinthians 6:17) from when we fell due to the disobedience of Adam (Romans 5:12-14; I Corinthians 15:21-22).

Strange how they know they have to have an internet provider before they can connect to the internet but they don't believe they have to connect to God in order to hear from Him.

Jesus gave us (((PROOF))) of whether or not we are connected to Him of "POWER" (Acts 1:8) "SPIRITUAL GIFTS" (I Corinthians 12:7-10) and "SIGNS FOLLOWING" (Mark 16:17-18) received after (((HE))) baptizes us with the Holy Ghost" (John 1:33) but today's Christians (((DON'T HAVE PROOF))) and continue to LIE and say they're are Christians (I Corinthians 12:11-13).

"GOD LAUGHS" (Psalm 37:13)!

• Dave D
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Look at how many teenagers who essentially make the claim that because they have studied science in middle school or high school they "know" what science says.  Francis Bacon, the "Father of the Modern Scientific Method" said a similar thing about philosophy:  "A little philosophy inclineth man’s mind to atheism; but depth in philosophy bringeth men’s minds about to religion".

• 3 weeks ago

Not really sure, but these Scriptures paint a perfect picture of atheists...

1 timothy 6:4-5  KJV

4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,

5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

• Jeff
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

Poor little Snooks. 

Still stupid, still can't communicate.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.