Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 4 weeks ago

How do I eliminate toxic sibling rivalry from my mind?

If they’re doing well, part of me is happy for them, but I also feel a pang of jealousy and resentment.

If they’re doing badly, same story. Part of me is worried, but I also think “yes, now is my chance to be the successful one.”

These thoughts appear automatically, how do I make them stop? 

Get yourself some counselling about it.  You are jealous of your sibling and suffer from schadenfreud.  Pleasure in another person's distress.  This is childish and you need to get rid of your historical emotional baggage and jealousy of your sibling.

just try and think about something else

I don't think you can. It's natural to have these thoughts. The fact you are aware of them is a step in the right direction. You need to work on your love for them and always wanting the best for them.

That's not to say that you can't use the negative sentiments to improve yourself. Just remember your love above all of that.