If I use my backup camera, am I technically being a photographer? ?

Not mecessarily. you could just be taking pictures regardless of what camera you use.

• Sumi

If you use any camera regardless if it's your primary or backup, you're being a photographer.  Being a photographer has nothing to do with the camera being used.  If you use a pinhole camera, you're still being a photographer because you're making a photograph.

• qrk

Are you purposely saving those images? If not, you aren't a photographer.

Plus, a backup camera is a video device. Again, you aren't a photographer unless you are saving individual frames as still images.

• Cogito

A photographer is just someone who takes photographs.

Whether or not you use a back-up camera is totally irrelevant.

You are a photographer whether you have a backup camera or not. 

• John P

Depends what you mean by 'technically'. If you are hired to photograph on an occasion, then it is good to have a back-up camera in case your usual camera fails.

It probably looks better if your back up is a 'proper camera' rather than a mobile phone.