Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 1 month ago

What would happen if I was exposed to 60,000 feet in the sky? ?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

I used to be active duty in the USAF. The SR-71 and other spy planes would routinely fly at this and similar altitudes. The atmospheric pressure at this altitude is ~100mB or ~76mmHg. This is not low enough to cause one's blood to boil, but a person at this pressure would soon be asphyxiated from lack of Oxygen, even if breathing 100% O2. The lowest that the human body can exist in without harm is ~200mB or ~150mmHg, breathing 100% O2, of course. NASA has found that ~350mB at 60%O2 is a very practical and workable atmosphere for astronauts living in spacecrafts. 

Cheers. 

• garry
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

probably choke to death from lack of oxygen if your not frozen first .

• 1 month ago

That sounds like a real downer.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

There would be very little air for you to breathe.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Manuel
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

What will happen? , something deeply unpleasant...painful...final.

• 1 month ago

Very quickly, you'd lose consciousness; if it happened *suddenly*, then pressure at that altitude is so low that gases in your blood would come out of solution - and, you'd get what divers call 'the bends.'  Bubbles in your bloodstream can be deadly as well; causing blockages in and around your lungs, as well as blood to the brain.  

• Rick
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

lack of oxygen would get you first, then your body would freeze.

• 1 month ago

I would think you'd receive an INSTANT case of DEADLY frostbite....-56.5C / -69.7F.

• Dze
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

your colon would probably spontaneously evacuate with such force it would suck your eyeballs out of your rear end ...

• Nyx
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You would die.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.