Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 4 weeks ago

Baby names?

My partner and I are having a baby and we can’t agree on a name. Here’s what we have so far: Aurora, Astrea, Charlotte, Hazel, Saoirse, or Phoebe for a girl, Elias or Ezra for a boy.

Please let us know what you like best, or if you have a different suggestion. Btw we already have a nine year old named Kate.

The middle name for the girl will be Penelope and for a boy will be Hank 

Saoirse is a mad spelling outside of Gaelge- speaking parts of Eire and Ezra is almost as Jewish as Izzy. Aurora and Elias are your best picks. Aurora Penelope and Elias Hank. Sigh. Probably the best you're going to do. Aurora Penelope is actually pretty good though I would prefer Aurora Astrea. Hank is weak and usually just a nickname. Elias is passable and tolerable for a sun name but Helios is a stronger sun name. My suggestion is Alexander Helios. Even Alexander Elias would be stronger than Hank.

I like Saoirse the most, but if you live in the USA, you will find that few people will get the Irish pronunciation from that name in the English language, unless they are already familiar with it. This means that if you choose the name, you will undoubtedly be in a position, where you have to constantly correct people, or rather, educate them.  I would spell it Searsha, but then the Irish would get miffed, and say that is not how it is spelled. The same things goes with Sean/Shawn.

But really, it is best to spell names according to the culture around you, if you want that name to be pronounced correctly. Just my view though. Different opinions exist on the matter.

Both Elias (Greek form of Eliyah/Elijah) and Ezra (meaning 'help' in Hebrew) sound good. It comes down to your preference. If one was not good, I would let you know, but they are both pretty equal in my mind. I also like Azrael (help God), Ebenezer (stone of help), Azariah (help is Yah), even though these names may not be people with the majority, I like them.

I like Charlotte or Ezra.

The only girl name I like is Aurora and Penelope flows with it best. 

Audrey

Mariah

Marissa 

Cora

Laura

Sarah

Natalia 

Laurel

Sierra

Rachel

Olivia 

I like Elias for a boy.  And it flows better with Hank 

Liam

Connor

Blake

Caleb 

Wesley

Evan

Levi

Jaron

Jude

Asher

Zachary

My vote is 100% for Phoebe! It's so beautiful, timeless and sounds/looks different from many other names. It's in a class of its own.

/10

Aurora - 7

Astrea - 1

Charlotte - 3

Hazel - 3

Saoirse - 7

Phoebe - 10

I love Elias and Ezra, but prefer Elias :)

Suggestions:

Willa, Thea, Fiona, Freya, Lana, Alina, Heidi, Eloise, Naomi, Neve, Quinn, Shauna, Shavon/Siobhan