What should I do about my job ?

I am a receptionist and lately my boss has been asking me to do things that are out of my job description. For example on multiple occasions from my desk  I've been assigned to help out the warehouse department. Yesterday my boss told me to wear comfortable shoes so that I can go to the warehouse and help out there. I do not mind helping out I just feel like I do not get paid enough to be a receptionist/warehouse associate. Another time our house keeper was on vacations for a week and she asked me to take out the office trash. I never say no to what she asks from me because she is my boss after all. In a way I feel like she is not respecting my position as this was not told to me when I accepted the job. I thought I would be doing office work, if I got paid more I feel like I would not mind. Also I am the only receptionist who has worked here and been assigned warehouse projects. I get paid my wage because of the work I do and now I am being asked to do more with my same wage. Am I being irrational, if not what can I do about it.How do I handle the situation and the feeling. 

• L

Either do what is asked of you or look for another job.  I've worked jobs where the boss has asked me to do more - I just smile, said yes and did it.

• garry

well he hasnt asked you for sex on a weekly basis has he , its up to you , either you say yes and keep your job or say no its not in the job description and improve your chances of being replaced .

You should have a periodic job review.  There you can get feedback on your performance and ask about ways to get ahead.  In the end if you want a different job go look for one.  In a business it is common for people to work outside of what they might consider their job.

At this current time be grateful that you have a job maybe later on after the pandemic will be over you can to ask for a raise

You’re not being irrational. I know a lot of answers said you should be grateful for a job but when you agree to a job you expect to do a certain role. I can totally relate. Many times they would hire me and then have me doing the work of 2-3 people or a completely job all together. Nothing is wrong with helping out but doing your job and someone else’s can be a lot. Talk to your boss about a raise. If you are doing a good job I don’t see why you shouldn’t get one.

I can somehow relate to your situation. I was totally overworked but underpaid. I thought it was just normal since that was my first job. I wanted to impress my boss and to show her that I can finish all of her assigned tasks earlier than the deadline. But as time went on, I realized that I was also doing the tasks of my other colleagues. I approached my boss and asked her if we can review my job description. After more than an hour, she was a bit apologetic because she has become too reliant on me. The ending is, I got a raise without even asking for it. Bottom line is, be assertive enough to tell if something is wrong. Because not everyone is aware of something unless you tell them. 

I may be a little bit old-fashioned, but I believe that with today's workplace under extreme working conditions due to Covid-19, you may be fortunate that you have a job at all. If the COVID is not affecting your firm, try speaking to your supervisors regarding your concerns. Perhaps they'll agree with you and give you a raise. But, most important of all, you were hired for the purpose of performing the duties required by your employer.

• Kate

As it is hard for both employees and employers at the moment, I would be doing whatever is asked to make sure the whole company and the staff survive. I used to manage a fine dining Restaurant and when things were tough I had to do my share of toilet cleaning and kitchen hand work. Didn't mind at all and we survived.

You aren't being irrational, but you are being picky and short-sighted. You could just be grateful for having a job and realize that in a smaller company, people are going to be asked to do any number of things from time to time. Don't be so stuck on your job description. Everyone should take out the trash or pitch in during inventory.  

You are free to ask for a raise and or decline to do job outside your job description. If you are being asked to work 40% in the warehouse on a regular basis and you KNOW that the wages for warehouse workers is higher than your wage, Ask to get a raise. if your really just want a desk job and are not comfortable doing warehouse work, speak up.  

Also, feel free to look for other job opportunities. The smaller the company and the lower the current profits, the more likely you are to be asked to do things you weren't hired to do.  The larger the company, the more likely that people will stick to the roles they were hired for.  

It is not out of line to ask the receptionist to take out the trash or even do light cleaning. I had to clean the bathroom when I had a similar job and was in charge of the trash. But the warehouse work is something different if the pay is different. If the warehouse pay is higher per hour than what you get and you are being asked to that all day - then yeah - you are being taken advantage of. But if the pay is the same as what you get as a receptionist - stay silent and I would continue to cheerfully do the work. The more skills you have, the more you know about the organization, the more valuable you are to them.