Why did Jesus wait until after Lazarus died to save him?

Could he not have saved him from dying and accomplished the same sign?

44 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago
    Favourite answer

Shortly before the event Jesus spoke of a man named Lazarus who died and a rich man who also died. The point he made was that even if some one came back from the dead to warn others of what was going to happen at death, those that needed to repent (the rich mans brothers) would not heed the warning.

To prove he was right, he brought a man named Lazarus back from the dead. The result was that those in power sought not only to kill Jesus but also to kill Lazarus.

To me the reason for the delay was to prove that he (Jesus) had sized up the situation right. Please note that one reason they sought to kill both of them was because they knew that it would take away their way of earning a living. They might have to get a real job.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Jesus used Lazarus to graphically prove that Jesus has the power of resurrection. Only God can raise the dead. Jesus proved that he is God.

Lazarus had to die before Jesus could resurrect him.

John 11:23-26 KJV — Jesus saith unto Martha, Thy brother shall rise again. Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day. Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

• 3 weeks ago

Bigger miracle to bring someone back from the dead rather than save them from dying, which is what doctors accomplish every day. 

• 3 weeks ago

To teach that He IS the resurrection and the life, that we might have saving faith in Him. Literal resurrection in the Bible teaches us the immensity of Jesus BEING – in His Person – the Resurrection and the Life. Consider why He deliberately held back 2 whole days after being told Lazarus was sick to the point of death. John ch. 11 is an amazing account. Jesus told them plainly that Lazarus was dead, “And I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, to the intent you may believe.” Jesus and the disciples did not arrive at the village where Lazarus and his sisters lived until Lazarus had been dead 4 days. Martha said her brother would not have died if Jesus had been present earlier, then Jesus told Martha “Your brother shall rise again.” She agreed because she had faith in the future resurrection of the dead but that was not what Jesus meant. He said, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me, even though he were dead, shall never die.” He did NOT say, “I will resurrect your brother.” He said He IS the resurrection, and the life! Think well on that. He did not say He had the power to raise the dead – He declared that He IS the resurrection!

Martha never doubted but exclaimed, “Yes Lord. I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God who should come into the world.” Think well on that, too! Only when the immensity of who Jesus IS hits us, do we acclaim Him in true faith.

At the tomb, others said “Could not this man, who opened the eyes of the blind, have caused that even this man should not have died?” They were aghast at Jesus’ command to roll the stone away, knowing the corpse (bound up as it was) would stink. They believed that the spirit must depart by the 4th day of death, so they had no belief that Lazarus could be resuscitated. But when the corpse came out of the tomb, alive, many believed in Jesus and this was the final straw for the religionists who hated Jesus. They determined to have Him killed. This is the same today – we either acclaim Christ as Lord, as the Resurrection and the Life, believing Him to be who the Bible says He is, or we turn against Him. Indifference is but a paler shade of dark disbelief. The Lazarus account teaches us that – if we are willing to learn.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

Lazarus was actually in a COMMA. This was Jesus' attempt to convince the doubters that he was the Son of God so they would accept His Gospel. People were aware of the dead coming back to life after 3 days which is why tombs were never sealed until the 4th day. It was necessary for Jesus to wait until the 4th day in order to convince the doubters that Lazarus was really dead.

Lazarus was condemned to death along with Jesus, but being warned by Jesus, he escaped. He was age 36 when Jesus was crucified, Friday, 7April30A.D. He spent much of his latter life on the run and died around age 67.

• Prince
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

Jesus didn't "wait". You mischaracterise it. Jesus had been away and, returning to Bethany, his sister-in-law Martha came out and said, "Had you been here, Lord, my brother had not died". Martha could go outside because she was a single woman. Lazarus's other sister, Mary, could not go outside because she was a married woman in mourning and had to await her husband's command to leave the house at Bethany. Jesus commanded her to come outside and then she could. For she was the bride at the wedding at Cana which made it possible for Jesus to be a Rabbi. No unmarried man could be a Rabbi back then. Marrying Mary of Bethany was the point at which Jesus could be Rabbi. 

• 3 weeks ago

Nope.  He needed to show his power over death, not just heal somebody.  The Jews of that time figured that the departed spirit lingered near its body for three days, so that during that time it was possible to raise the dead.  By waiting four days to raise Lazarus from the dead, he did something that no other human being had ever done.

• 3 weeks ago

How could Jesus have accomplished RESURRECTION in Lazarus UNLESS HE HAD DIED?  That's an impossibility to raise someone from the dead who isn't dead!!!!!

• 3 weeks ago

Partly to demonstrate that the miracle was genuine, and not the coincidental recovery of someone who was merely sick or unconscious. When Jesus commanded the tomb be opened, the reply was ‘Lord, already there is a stench because he has been dead for four days’ - so the witnesses were in no doubt Lazarus was truly dead.

The other reason is that it was a sign to give hope to his followers, because Jesus knew he would die and lie in the tomb for several days before his own resurrection.

• No

Healing and Resurrection two very different things

• 3 weeks ago

There was a Jewish custom that a person wasn't officially dead unti three days after they died. They realized there were situations where in people appeared dead but really weren't. So, after 4 days, nobody could contest that Jesus really brought back to life a person who was really, really dead. 

Bringing someone back from the dead is more powerful than curing their illness.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.